Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Big Block Talk! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Villager 8 23hp Vangaurd tachometer (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=163553)

Rjtehan 05-08-2020 02:03 PM

Villager 8 23hp Vangaurd tachometer

Ok boys (and girls), I have a villager 8 that I’m completing a engine swap on. Installing a CCP 23hp Vangaurd. I need some tach help. Old engine was a fe290 and I had a Glowshift tach installed that worked fine on the one cylinder, but won’t be useful with the vtwin. Got an Equus 8068, but the lead on the pickup wire won’t reach from the engine to the dash. So I tried to splice the shielded wire to lengthen it (instructions said DO NOT CUT) and the manufacturer’s were right. It didn’t work.

So, anybody got any other thoughts?

Shepard 05-09-2020 07:29 PM

Re: Villager 8 23hp Vangaurd tachometer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtehan (Post 1715946)
Ok boys (and girls), I have a villager 8 that I’m completing a engine swap on. Installing a CCP 23hp Vangaurd. I need some tach help. Old engine was a fe290 and I had a Glowshift tach installed that worked fine on the one cylinder, but won’t be useful with the vtwin. Got an Equus 8068, but the lead on the pickup wire won’t reach from the engine to the dash. So I tried to splice the shielded wire to lengthen it (instructions said DO NOT CUT) and the manufacturer’s were right. It didn’t work.

So, anybody got any other thoughts?

This will work on your v twin. This hooks to the kill wire directly at the number 1 coil

https://vegascarts.com/products/85mm...0-clone-0-8000

Rjtehan 05-09-2020 09:27 PM

Thanks for the link Shepard!

Dave in VA 05-10-2020 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepard (Post 1716386)
This will work on your v twin. This hooks to the kill wire directly at the number 1 coil

https://vegascarts.com/products/85mm...0-clone-0-8000

Will that work on a Yamaha engine?

Shepard 05-11-2020 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in VA (Post 1716510)
Will that work on a Yamaha engine?

This tach is designed to read the ignition pulse in the kill wire of a magneto like in a clone or Briggs. What type ignition are you talking about?

kellett5261 07-11-2020 04:12 PM

i am having issue trying to set up my equus RPM gauge. i have a predator 670 and i tried to run the inductive pick up wire on the spark plug wire.

for the life of me i cant get a signal to the gauge, not very happy because i just spent like over hour wraping everything in a wire loom and hiding all the wires in the frame.

i have no issues running the the direct hook up to the coil but i dont want to rip out the wiring if i dont have too.

thoughts?

Field6565 07-11-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellett5261 (Post 1739329)
i am having issue trying to set up my equus RPM gauge. i have a predator 670 and i tried to run the inductive pick up wire on the spark plug wire.

for the life of me i cant get a signal to the gauge, not very happy because i just spent like over hour wraping everything in a wire loom and hiding all the wires in the frame.

i have no issues running the the direct hook up to the coil but i dont want to rip out the wiring if i dont have too.

thoughts?

I had the same issue with an equas 8068 on my Vanguard. I had to put a cable tie on the pick up to add a little more compression to the coil wire. Worked perfect for years.

Shepard 07-11-2020 09:03 PM

Like Field said - use a wire tye to increase the pickup's clamp strength. Do you have the pickup's arrow pointed at the plug? The pickup is directional - also don't cut the cable trying to make it longer - you'll be buying another one. :shock: Trust me on this.:oops: Mine is barely long enough, l could never get it into the wiring harness.

kellett5261 07-13-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepard (Post 1739433)
Like Field said - use a wire tye to increase the pickup's clamp strength. Do you have the pickup's arrow pointed at the plug? The pickup is directional - also don't cut the cable trying to make it longer - you'll be buying another one. :shock: Trust me on this.:oops: Mine is barely long enough, l could never get it into the wiring harness.

lol funny you say dont cut it. i actually just got done running mine through the frame and had it hanging down and it started to rain & i pushed the cart in the garage and i ripped the wire apart :cry: i was so mad so i ordered another one and put it in,

i tried both the arrow away & towards the plug, same result. ill try the zip tie when i get home and maybe thinking about wrapping the plug wire in electrial tape and make it fatter for the camp the be tigher., we'll see

slonomo 07-13-2020 03:54 PM

I used a small section of rubber fuel hose the get the clamp tighter. You have to make sure the pickup isn't covered though. Adding lots of tape may make the pickup have a hard time. You want that metal pickup sensor right on the plug wire. The plastic clamp part is what is loose, just try and tape on either side of where the clamp touches, but not the center where the pickup sensor is. Hope that makes sense.