Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2000 DS flooded by salt water (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=135742)

buggypilot 10-08-2017 12:32 PM

2000 DS flooded by salt water

Hi. new to forum. I have a CC DS year 2000 serial # A0006-868424. Thanks to Hurricane Irma my cart was completely under salt water. Batteries needed to be replaced before but now I think its going to need a complete electrical rebuild. I'm pretty handy at replacing parts so I want do it myself and use the savings to do some upgrades along the way. First, I want a faster cart(motor). Second, I want a reliable cart. Looking for suggestions on rebuild / upgrades needed for a bigger motor cart. I expect to have to replace most or all main components. Thanks for any thoughts.

dundeebarnbuggy 10-08-2017 01:11 PM

Re: 2000 DS flooded by salt water

Welcome!! You have come to the right place! First thing I would do if you haven't already done so is completely disassemble the whole cart. WASH everything to get the salt off. Drain the diff and take note of what comes out. Might also loosen the boots on the rack assembly to if any water/salt got in there. Rust [corrosion] never sleeps!

buggypilot 10-08-2017 01:48 PM

Thanks, I'll check into that. Any concerns about going with a 10 HP motor upgrade. Looking at 700 amp GE controller. Anything else to consider?

Mooncarter 10-08-2017 02:17 PM

Hey Buggypilot welcome to BGW!

Good luck getting that cart apart and cleaned up. Should be no problem. You will get better responses by starting another thread in this same section concerning the upgrades. Good luck with the project!

E36Racer 10-08-2017 03:28 PM

From experience with flood cars from Sandy, every plug on the whole harness needs attention very quickly. If not they will turn into a corrosion blob and fall apart and then the whole harness will need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahoeDawgZ71 10-08-2017 10:03 PM

Replace the main wire harness, the V-Glide Multi-Step potentiometer needs to be replaced with an MCOR. I wouldn't trust it after it was submerged in salt water. The OBC should be fine. It's sealed and I've never seen one damaged by water before. I recommend the Admiral MOT-A1 motor with an Alltrax XCT500 controller, a heavy duty F&R switch, and 2 gauge cables. This is an incredible setup. All of this is based on the assumption that you have a series car, as most 2000s are.. But it's possible you may have a Regen 2. Do you have a tow/run switch under the seat? Let me know. I'll tell you exactly what you need down to the last zip tie. And as for Irma, she sucks. My wife and I were on a cruise out of Port Canaveral and Irma caused all kinds of problems for us. Nothing of course like what the Florida residents experienced, but I still hate Irma. Glad you are ok. Let me know what you've got and I'll be glad to help.

_ogre 10-10-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 1439490)
The OBC should be fine. It's sealed and I've never seen one damaged by water before.

amazing and contrary to what i would have thought :thumbup:

yawood 10-11-2017 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _ogre (Post 1440017)
amazing and contrary to what i would have thought :thumbup:

Have you seen the pictures of one that was pulled apart? It's sealed alright!!

NoleFan4Ever 10-11-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawood (Post 1440220)
Have you seen the pictures of one that was pulled apart? It's sealed alright!!

TIGHTLY!! :shock:

buggypilot 12-12-2018 03:06 PM

Hey all, I just started on the rebuild of CC ds series cart after Irma. Replaced batteries with trojans and did the per-MCOR to MCOR 4 update. I saw the resistor at the solenoid was burnt replace it, too. I drained the gear oil. It looked fine. Replaced with Mobile 1 synthetic. Unfortunely, replacing the obvious corroded components didn't get it to do anything. Still won't move. Think next step is to replace/upgrade F/R switch and solenoid with high current versions. Hoping that will get it going. Trying to keep my grandson interested in our project. Got a Jake's 6" lift kit coming. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.