Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   top speed Yamaha Drive (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=60354)

nitromt2 02-18-2012 07:21 PM

top speed Yamaha Drive

Hello,
So I have a yamaha drive golfcart. I would like to make it go as quick as possible. I have tightened the bolt on the governor but this doesnt make it go really quick. I want to keep the engine stock. I cannot get any upgrade parts here. Thanks Robert

sho305 02-18-2012 07:40 PM

Re: top speed Yamaha Drive

Save your money and find a place you can order high speed gears for it. With stock tires you can't get much from them they all run out of rpm/gearing around 20mph or so. Lifted carts are geared higher by the larger diameter of the tires. I put HS gears in an old CC and it was running 28mph gps and the engine had a limiter on it, everything else stock on the cart.

eddogg 02-18-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho305 (Post 690010)
Save your money and find a place you can order high speed gears for it. With stock tires you can't get much from them they all run out of rpm/gearing around 20mph or so. Lifted carts are geared higher by the larger diameter of the tires. I put HS gears in an old CC and it was running 28mph gps and the engine had a limiter on it, everything else stock on the cart.

Yep!

smallblock450sl 02-18-2012 10:03 PM

Don't know about makeing it "quicker", but if speed is what you want, I highly recommend www.cartpartsplus.com "speed spring" Every customer that I have installed them in was very happy.

jakecove1 02-18-2012 10:10 PM

So how does this speed spring work?

smallblock450sl 02-18-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakecove1 (Post 690055)
So how does this speed spring work?

Good question, I'll try to awnser. The speed spring is "much stiffer" then the stock one. As the internal govenor weights get moved out ( with the rpm increase of the input shaft), and pull the govenor shaft back, causing the accelerator cable #2 to partially close the throttle shaft, slowing the car down. Just like turning in the govenor 10mm head nut, witch is really just makeing the spring have more tension. What alot of gobbly goob......and bad wording. The stronger the spring....the govenor weights can't pull the cable back! Never said I could be a tech writer:lhmo:

jakecove1 02-18-2012 10:46 PM

will this upgraded spring possibly hurt engine?

smallblock450sl 02-19-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakecove1 (Post 690061)
will this upgraded spring possibly hurt engine?

I've never heard of an engine failure.

jakecove1 02-19-2012 11:31 AM

if i understand correctly, it just allows engine to hit higher rpm's quicker

sho305 02-19-2012 02:01 PM

A governor spring will increase the top rpm it can run, never heard of a yamaha having a problem with rpm I've run my G9 with no governor at all for a very long time. It should get the most you can out of it....I'm just saying no cart will go that fast without gears or larger diameter tires to gear it up. Governor things will make them go faster than stock 12mph sure, but not double the engine just can't run that fast and it is not good on them to run screaming high rpm with near no load on them or for longer periods. My cart will go faster down a hill, that means while it is running high rpm it does have load on it at top speed. I don't keep if floored down hills, anywhere else I will but not for a long time. With stock tires and gears I like to recommend you keep a governor on there, adjust it up or get a spring but keep it on there. You hardly get more speed governor cranked up compared to none at all when you don't have more gearing anyway. With 22s my G9 will gps 30mph on level pavement, 28 on dirt I normally run on. I could gps over 30 down a hill but I will not do it. But you will not get close to that without gears/tires no matter what you do. Turn the governor up and that is all you can get stock.