Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2002 Club Car DS just stopped after installing 2 gauge wires (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=111539)

seeyalatergator 10-11-2015 02:57 PM

2002 Club Car DS just stopped after installing 2 gauge wires

Ok, newbie here with a question. I replaced my batteries and everything was fine with the old cables. Then I replaced my cables with 2 gauge cables because the old ones looked pretty bad. The cart ran fine for maybe 15 minutes and just stopped. After reading on here, I realized I had to have something through the obc. So, I used a 5/16 carriage bolt, carefully following diagram I found posted here. Still no go. Reset obc per instructions on here. Still no go. Checked water. All good. Charging battery pack now for the first time. Charger needle went to the right and is humming like its supposed to. Each battery showed about 8.15 volts before charging. Forgot to mention it is a 48 volt with 6 8 volt batteries. Sorry for the long post, but is there something else I need to check as to why it won't move?

crash test dummy 10-11-2015 03:35 PM

Re: 2002 Club Car DS just stopped after installing 2 gauge wires

check all your wires and cables ... give them a tug and a wiggle

seeyalatergator 10-11-2015 04:25 PM

Is there anything to spray on electrical connections to clean off dirt and grime without messing up anything?

mrgolf 10-11-2015 04:34 PM

Electronic contact cleaner.

seeyalatergator 10-11-2015 04:55 PM

Thanks

seeyalatergator 10-11-2015 06:06 PM

I haven't found any loose wires, but it is still charging after 3 hours and still at 10 amps on the charger. I assume that is ok. Up to about 54 volts on the pack.

mrgolf 10-11-2015 06:51 PM

Just how did you make the carriage bolt work through the OBC. Photo?

crash test dummy 10-11-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeyalatergator (Post 1207743)
I haven't found any loose wires, but it is still charging after 3 hours and still at 10 amps on the charger. I assume that is ok. Up to about 54 volts on the pack.

yes that is ok .. can go as high as 60v

scottyb 10-11-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash test dummy (Post 1207768)
yes that is ok .. can go as high as 60v

63 :wink: and don't tun it off unless it gets to 66v ... basically let it finish 8)

seeyalatergator 10-11-2015 09:13 PM

Ok. Will do. Thanks!

seeyalatergator 10-12-2015 07:31 AM

Ok. The charger cut off over night. Didn't have time to check voltage this morning before work. I did unplug the charger and tried to see if it would move. It would not. No click, no nothing. Where do I need to go from here?

Sergio 10-12-2015 09:41 AM

To troubleshoot the Solenoid Activation Circuit on a 2002 DS Series cart:

The yellow wire on the solenoid small post goes to the OBC and provides the negative for the Solenoid.

The White/Black wire on the solenoid small post goes to the FNR micro switch, Pedal switch, key switch and provides the positive for the Solenoid.

Lift one wheel off the ground, turn the key on, put FNR in Forward and press the pedal.

Set meter to 200vDC scale.

Measure the voltage across the solenoid small posts: Yellow (meter negative probe) and Black/White (meter positive probe) wires.
If You get +48v and the solenoid does not click, replace the solenoid.
If You don't get +48v, find out which side is missing:
Measure the voltage between the pack negative battery post (meter negative probe) and the Black/White wire (meter positive probe) at the solenoid small post.
If You don't get +48v, the micro switch in the FNR or the Pedal micro switch is the problem.
Measure the voltage between the pack positive battery post (meter positive probe) and the yellow wire (meter negative probe) at the solenoid small post.
If You don't get +48v, the OBC lockout is the problem. You can disconnect the yellow wire from the solenoid and ran a new 16ga wire from that solenoid small post directly to pack negative or Controller B-

seeyalatergator 10-12-2015 10:42 AM

Thanks Sergio, I will do that this afternoon when I get home and post results.

seeyalatergator 10-12-2015 05:52 PM

Ok. According to Sergio ' s diagnostic procedure, either the micro switch in the FNR is the problem or the accelerator pedal. I know where the FNR micros are. Is the accelerator switch in the box on the frame rail?

seeyalatergator 10-12-2015 05:53 PM

Or are you saying one of the micros is the pedal switch?

Sergio 10-12-2015 06:46 PM

Yes there is a micro switch inside the Vglide, the pie shaped box referred to as a Multi-Step potentiometer.

Power comes in from the key switch on the Blue wire and the switch completes the connection to the Green/White wire that goes to the FNR micro switch.

The FNR micro switch completes the signal from the Green/White wire to the White/Black wire that goes to the Solenoid to provide the positive activation side of the circuit.

Check the FNR micro switch first since it is the easier one to access.

seeyalatergator 10-12-2015 06:53 PM

Ok. I'll check that.

seeyalatergator 10-12-2015 09:48 PM

This is a dumb question, but where do you put the negative probe when checking the FNR micro for voltage? If I grounded it correctly I am not reading any voltage at the FNR switch. It got dark on me, so I will have to investigate more tomorrow.

scottyb 10-12-2015 11:23 PM

Hey CC gets sneaky sometimes and puts negative to those little circuits so try it with the 'other' lead on + and - at the F&R and then if you find juice there going through the switch move to the V glide and repast the process per Sergio's instruction.

Sergio 10-13-2015 06:28 AM

I added the model and year to the top of the first post to make sure other folks knew the specific model this applied to, because as scottyb mentioned, there are quite a few differences in some model years.

I think I will start adding this to every set of instructions:
  • If the colors below do not match your cart, stop and ask for clarification before proceeding.
  • Unless otherwise noted, all voltage readings are in reference to pack negative or B- (meter negative probe placed there).
  • +48v is a nominal voltage and means actual pack voltage.

Disconnect the Green/White at the FNR micro switch and measure the voltage on the wire

If You get +48v on the Green/White wire with Key ON and Pedal pressed:
That micro switch is either bad or the FNR cam is not pressing the lever on the switch.

You can set your meter to "continuity" and test the terminals on the switch to make sure they close (You get a continuity beep from the meter) when the FNR is moved from neutral to either Forward or Reverse.

Pay attention to the switch as sometimes folks will replace a 2-terminal switch with a 3-terminal switch. In that case You need to use the Normally Open terminals on the switch.

If You do not get +48v on the Green/White wire:
Check the Blue wire on the Multi-Step potentiometer, You should get +48v when the Key switch is ON.

If You get +48v, the micro switch inside the Multi-Step potentiometer is bad.

seeyalatergator 10-13-2015 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, great information guys! I think I was using the probes correctly, but I run out of daylight. I will take another stab at it, but it sounds like I will be going under the cart because I didn't have any voltage at the green and white wire with the key on, FNR in forward and accelerator pressed. And BTW it does have a three plug switch.

Sergio 10-13-2015 07:54 AM

The micro switch for the interlock is that first one closer to the front of the cart.

On your way home stop at the auto-parts store and pick up a can of CRC electronic contact cleaner.

Spray all over your FNR and micro switches to clean it up and remove oxidation.

Wait a few minutes for it to evaporate as it is flamable and a spark from the FNR can give you a surprise.

You should also spray inside the Multi-Step potentiometer if you end up having to open it.

Your cables don't look too good, but good news is that they don't work on looks.

After You get the cart working, drive it for at least 10 to 20 minutes, make sure You drive it at full speed near the end (so the current is the same through all of the high current cables), stop and immediately start feeling all cable ends near the lugs.

It is normal for them to feel a little warm, but what you are trying to feel is a cable end that is considerably warmer than the rest.

That is an indication of a poor connection that has developed excessive resistance.

If that is the case, replace all of the cables (4ga for stock or larger if You are planning on upgrading to a 500amp or more controller).

seeyalatergator 10-13-2015 08:33 AM

:lhmo::lhmo::lhmo: This cart came from a brick plant where I work. I bought it from my employer when they were going to trade it in. I didn't do anything to it for two years except ride it. It is really nasty underneath from all the clay and mud at the brick plant. I said all that to say I sprayed the CNC contact cleaner yesterday before the picture. You should have seen it before! Ha!

seeyalatergator 10-13-2015 05:52 PM

Only got 4.7 volts at green/white wire. I will be diving under the buggy soon but probably not tonight. Assuming that the microswotch under there is bad, where do I get one of those?

Sergio 10-13-2015 06:20 PM

Make sure You had the right Green wire, there is a Green wire on micro switch #3 (the one closest to the batteries) that has about 5v.

Check the site sponsors page, lots of them sell the micro switches.

seeyalatergator 10-13-2015 08:31 PM

I will confirm that checked the green wire on the switch closest to the shifter.

seeyalatergator 10-14-2015 07:23 PM

Ok, a mixed bag of results this afternoon. First, I discovered my potentiometer box is rectangular with a tab on the top edge and I couldn't figure out how to get it open. So, I noticed that the blue wire went in the box via a clip with a green wire and the blue wire. Well, while trying to unplug it to get a meter reading I accidentally pulled the wires out of the clip when my pliers slipped. Well, anyway, I discovered I do have +48 volts on the blue wire. It sounds like I need the microswotch in the pentiometer box and now I need a wire end to replace the one I messed up. Two questions. How do I get in that box without breaking something else and where can I buy the clip end and the microswitch?

seeyalatergator 10-14-2015 07:38 PM

Ok, so apparently that box I'm looking at is not a vglide or potenimeter. The part name is apparently a motor controller unit. Does it have a microswitch inside that?

Sergio 10-14-2015 09:34 PM

You may have a continuously variable potentiometer, does it look like the one in this post?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1183008

You can see the screws on each side that hold it together.

tag50 10-14-2015 09:36 PM

Yes. Check out the "Sticky" at top of this section titled "Inside A MCOR".

seeyalatergator 10-15-2015 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the box I am referring to.

seeyalatergator 10-15-2015 08:07 AM

I read on another post about putting a paper clip in the wiring harness side of the two hole connector to the MCOR to test. Since I have pulled the end off mine, can I just join the blue wire and the green wire temporarily to see if the cart will run and therefore tell me if I need to buy the MCOR or try to fix the switch inside?

Sergio 10-15-2015 01:58 PM

Yes, You can just connect the Green and the Blue wire together to by-pass that switch.

You can also run like that until You get the MCOR replaced, just make sure you turn the Key switch OFF when parked.

seeyalatergator 10-15-2015 06:24 PM

Ok. I jumped the two wires and it worked. Tell me again what this bypasses?

Sergio 10-17-2015 08:54 AM

There is series of safety "interlocks" that must be closed/engaged before the controller will activate the solenoid.
Tow/Run on Run.
Key Switch ON.
FNR on Forward or Reverse.
Pedal microswitch closed.
MCOR Throttle signal more than 5% (not exactly sure on the minimum percentage).
With the pedal switch by-passed and all of the other interlocks ON, there is a small possibility of a signal fluctuation in the MCOR resistance track could cause the cart to move by itself.

It is very unlikely to cause it to move when you turn the key ON since too much pedal signal when the key is turned ON would trigger a HPD fault and the cart would not move.

So you should replace the MCOR, but that is how that switch plays in the entire safety system.

Edit:
I am obviously not paying much attention this morning, You have a Series cart not a Sepex.
In this case the HPD fault would not protect you from a throttle signal issue accidentally causing movement at Key ON.
Make sure the key is always OFF when you are stopped and your foot is not on the brake if you use the cart with the by-pass in place.

seeyalatergator 10-19-2015 11:04 AM

Ok. Thanks Sergio and everyone. This has been a very helpful group and I will replace the MCOR with the updated kit. Thanks!