Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New G2 Owner looking for advice (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=85389)

jimbaeumel 09-10-2013 02:56 PM

New G2 Owner looking for advice

1 Attachment(s)
New guy with a G2 here that I just grabbed of craigslist. Judging by the ID# on the engine its an 86 G2. Cart seems to be in OK shape has a lift kit. My first objective is getting it running. Motor is out. They previous owner said it was smoking and that a valve was stuck on it. Spun the motor and the valves aren't stuck motor turns easy by hand. No scoring on the cylinder. Should I just hone this thing and pop some rings on it? Any advice or tips on engine disassembly would be helpful too. -Jim

G2Rebel 09-10-2013 06:55 PM

Re: New G2 Owner looking for advice

I'd do a compression check first it you haven't already. Then hone and re ring it. Also get two valve stem seals. Yamaha only installed one on that motor. Also make sure you order the case gaskets. Rtv does not allow proper clearances for the internals tho fit properly.

trickG2 09-13-2013 12:08 PM

my buddys g2 was doing the same thing. turned out to be a bad head gasket. but if out take the motor down the fare you should probobly just do rings and velve seals to. you can find all the parts and www.buggiesunlimited.com or www.cartpartspluse.com

smallblock450sl 09-13-2013 07:03 PM

If the cylinder honed out good, if you can check bore (73.0mm-73.02mm or 2.874-2.875in) go for OEM rings/head/case gaskets, there is a differance. As for valve work, decarbon,lap valves and only install a valve stem seal on the intake, the exhaust valve gets so hot, the rubber seal will go bad in a few hours run time (I did it for many years and learned a valuable lesson from a member smarter then I:oops:). TrickG2, buggies unlimited is not a site sponsor and sells low quality engine and electrical components, www.cartpartsplus.com is a site sponsor and renowned for his high quality parts/customer service and pricing. If you need any other clearance/torque specs/ring oriantation, just ask.

sho305 09-15-2013 07:25 PM

If it smoked usually the oil ring goes bad before the compression rings, so they still run but smoke. Measure the bore and see how bad it is like Smallblock says, to see what you need to do. If the cylinder is too big you will never have good compression without boring it and new piston, though they usually run ok that way.