Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Melex (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   1993 Melex Cart differential problem (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=7686)

danman12 08-26-2008 07:05 PM

1993 Melex Cart differential problem

I have a 1993 Melex golf cart that I was told needed a differential repair. The mechanic said I need a new ring gear. He said it would be hard to find a new ring gear for a Melex. Others have said Melex parts are very obtainable. Is this kind of problem fixable? Can you use Ez-Go parts? Should I expect to pay a lot of money to fix this? I don't have much money so buying a new cart is not do-able. Thanks, dan

rusty 08-27-2008 10:01 PM

Re: 1993 Melex Cart differential problem

Welcome to the forum danman12................

There are plenty of older EZGO carts around that have a rearend/axle assembly that would match yours and be a lot less frustrating to change out the entire axle and be easier to get your hands on.

Just food for thought.

danman12 08-27-2008 10:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. I agree that this is the way to go. Any suggestions on how to find a rear end axle assembly to match?

roady89 08-27-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danman12 (Post 90099)
Thanks for the reply. I agree that this is the way to go. Any suggestions on how to find a rear end axle assembly to match?

I just ran a quick search for melex parts.....I found 1 bearing set on 4 sites for that model. Back in the day Melex were an exact copy of ezgo golf cars and parts were easy to come by. Later models such as yours are not the same as the older ones....like my 77. I order ezgo parts for my 77 melex. I suppose you could contact Melex Poland or Melex Brittain and obtain parts. I have sent them an email before and I did recieve a reply. It took 2 days but they did reply......I myself would find another manufacturers rear axle. You do not have to use an ezgo rear axle. You will have to do some fabricating work if you swap the rear axle out so it doesn't matter really. Make sure you get one with the right kind of motor. (series or sepex, I'm pretty sure yours is series) If you have a SEPEX type motor you may have issue....again, I think you have a SERIES type motor. That may even make it a better option because then you could by things like more powerful motors for say....an ezgo rear differential if thats what you end up with. There "might" be a slim chance the axle is the same or similar to other makes and the parts will interchange....if you can get some numbers off the differential and some pictures someone may be able to cross reference it.

You can check out our Golf car parts section....someone may have one for sale.

I won't say late model melex parts are not out there but I haven't seen many.

gatormeup 08-28-2008 12:56 PM

what is the stamp on top of rearend, i know where a melex cart is you coul dprob get really cheap!! let me know numbers and maybe we could get whole rearend, or just pull out internals for you, prob much cheaper to ship that way

danman12 08-28-2008 01:07 PM

Thank you for replying. Are you referring to the number that is stamped on top of the differential case? If so, I will grab the number tonight and post it on this forum tonight. I am potentially very interested in the Melex cart you mentioned. Where is it located? Thanks. Dan

gatormeup 08-28-2008 01:52 PM

it is located in lagrange ga, and yes thats what i was talking about, i will see if it will match, where are you located??

danman12 08-28-2008 01:56 PM

Thanks for checking. I am in Gilbert, Arizona and am game to getting a part shipped if it doesn't cost TOO much. How much is TOO much is to be determined. I badly want to get the cart working rather than spending another $1500 to $2000 to buy a new one.

I am not a mechanic so I don't see myself making much progress opening the differential case and trying to figure out which gears are broken, etc. I like the idea about replacing the rear end. I guess it just comes down to finding one that lines up with my back end so it can be attached huh?

Too bad we don't have a golf cart junkyard here in Arizona.

gatormeup 08-28-2008 02:00 PM

i hear ya, let me know the number and i will see if it matches!! then we can go from there if you just want the gear o rthe whole rearend!! kenneth

azboo 08-28-2008 02:05 PM

Hi,

I'm in Arizona. I just put the word Melex into the search on Craigslist and I came up with 31 listing for it. Might be something local that would work for you.

Click on this link:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=melex

Boo