Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Controller Fried? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=88761)

joesnuffy 12-17-2013 10:57 AM

Controller Fried?

2 Attachment(s)
Need some help please.

Got a EZ GO golf cart the model is 2000 up when I try and attach the positive lead that goes to the batteries it makes a violent arc/spark so much so it can not be connected. I am attaching the wiring diagram I located and a pic of the actual speed motor controller. I tested everything I thought it could be to narrow it down to the speed motor controller. The golf cart is my neighbors and they only use it when they are in Florida this year they connected the batteries before I got there and I think they connected the positive and negative leads backwards.

I did test the motor jumping S1 to A2 then connecting 18 volts positive to S2 and 18 volts negative to A1 and the motor ran smoothly and quietly. I had the golf cart jacked up in the rear to prevent it from moving.

I also tested the key switch on and off function using continuity where it plugs into the speed controller, I also tested the fwd/reverse switch using continuity to where it plugs into speed controller, and the the pedal switch where it plugs into the controller on that test I didn't get any varied resistance when I checked between the black and white wire that plug into the controller. I also jumped the solenoid to make sure it was clicking and making connection as it should when power is applied. The battery charger is also working as it should and the batteries are fully charged. I also tested the tow switch and it is working as it should also. I also tested the reed switch and it is working. I don't know how to test the motor speed sensor or if it would have any bearing on this.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not a golf cart mechanic but it is fairly simple wiring other than what is inside the motor controller. I think it might be something inside there possibly a relay that is frozen from where it was connected backwards?

Thanks for the help and forum.

Joe

JohnnieB 12-17-2013 11:56 AM

Re: Controller Fried?

2 Attachment(s)
The schematic posted does not match the controller posted.

Here is a schematic for the controller in the picture.

You can download the Owner, the Service and the Parts manuals here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
They are the three PDF files near the top.

If the batteries were disconnected from the controller, there will be some sparking when the batteries are reconnected, but you imply you've done this before and what you are seeing now is far greater, so there is a good possibility the controller is bad.

Not being able to connect the battery pack, makes it difficult to troubleshoot, but not impossible. :mrgreen:

The attached PDF file is how to do a diode check on the controller.
The controller in the PDF file isn't the same as what you have exactly, but they ought to check out the same using an Ohmmeter.

joesnuffy 12-17-2013 02:41 PM

Thanks, I will let you know what I find out.

Joe

sportcoupe 12-17-2013 03:06 PM

Joe,
You posted a picture of a pds controller for a sepex motor but you stated the motor connections were A2 and S1 (along with A1 and S2). Those identifiers are for a series motor, not a sepex motor. With the controller you attached a picture of your motor posts should be labeled A1, A2, F1, F2.

Has this cart run before to your knowledge or is it something you just picked up? Has the motor been off for some reason?

joesnuffy 12-18-2013 07:21 AM

Thanks Sportcoupe your right about the terminals. I was working off my memory it is as you mentioned. A1, A2, F1, F2 are the correct terminals for the golf cart. I did hook the motor up and it ran and sounded as it should no noises etc. I am out of town right now so when I return I will get to working on the cart again.

If it is bad can I put a Alltrax 24-48 volt 300amp fleet speed PDS regen programmable solid state speed controller DCX300PDS on it to replace the stock one??

Thanks for all the help,
Joe

JohnnieB 12-18-2013 08:09 AM

Yes, but unless you already have the DCX300, I'd go with a DCX400. :mrgreen:

I got 24MPH on stock height tires with stock PDS motor and a DCX400 at 36V.

scottyb 12-18-2013 11:00 AM

Be careful you are not mixing DCS and PDS parts, the controller program will be different.

joesnuffy 12-18-2013 05:50 PM

Thanks Guys. It is not my personal golf cart it is my neighbors in our retirement park in central Florida. I am just helping her out her husband passed last year (he was a friend of mine) and I try and help her out when I can. I don't have a golf cart in Florida but I do have one at my home in Tennessee. Its a G1 Yamaha 2 stroke and I sure love it. It has never let me down and runs like a dream and its pretty darn fast. I do really appreciate all the help here.

Joe

scottyb 12-18-2013 10:50 PM

Glad we could help

joesnuffy 01-29-2014 11:02 AM

I would like to thank everyone that helped to include this forum for being here to assist folks. I decided to put a rebuilt stock controller back in since it was the best priced at around 220 bucks and 50 bucks back for the old one on fleabay. The guy does them so I knew if their was an issue I could contact him. I had thought about Alltrax controller but he had already sold it. All is working fantastic now. Thanks Again for the help!!

Joe:thumbup: