Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   gas club car, won't crank after installing light switch (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=9205)

derrickschramm 10-12-2008 07:35 PM

gas club car, won't crank after installing light switch

I have a 2002 gas powered club car and I was installing a new switch for the head lights. When I put the front panel back on, It would not crank. I don't know what I did to it. But it is like the ignition switch is bad now. I am not sure. I have never worked on a golf cart before now. I am a copier/printer technician. Is there some way that I can hot wire the back of the switch so I will know for sure that the switch is bad?

DOOmsman 10-13-2008 08:51 AM

Re: gas club car, won't crank after installing light switch

Derrick, my friends all laugh at me because after the hammer the first thing I reach for is my volt ohm multimeter. I made one lead with a piercing point and hook from a test probe and I can test wires on any thing without having to disconnect them. GOOD LUCK>

GLEEMO 10-13-2008 10:13 AM

DO THE LIGHTS WORK ?
Was this A NEW LIGHT KIT or a REPAIR OF AN OLD ONE ?
If this is a new kit you put in, can you send pictures of the connections
you made ?

What year is the cart ?

derrickschramm 10-13-2008 12:51 PM

Its not a kit that I installed. I only installed the toggle switch for the lights. It is a 2001 model. And the lights do not work after installing the new toggle switch. The lights actually worked before I installed a new switch. I only replaced the switch because the toggle stick broke and it was difficult to toggle it on and off. But now nothing works. The fuse is not blown.

4vertical 10-13-2008 04:03 PM

did you check the fuse that is in the black box on the drivers side under the seat? when you pull out the dash panel it is common for a hot to hit ground if you didn't pull the fuse before hand

-Aaron

derrickschramm 10-13-2008 05:10 PM

I checked it. Its good. I also checked the other fuse under the seat. Its also good. I think that it probably did hit ground when I pulled the dash panel out. Do you think that it could have shorted the ignition switch? Is there a way to check it ? It has 4 posts on it. One is positive and one is ground. I have no idea what the other two are.

shadowman 10-13-2008 07:20 PM

did you hook the battery back up right? sounds stupid but we see people do it...........your sure the battery didn,t go dead...........and your sure that 10 samp fuse is good............................8)

derrickschramm 10-13-2008 08:48 PM

Yes, I am sure that the fuse is good. I checked the continuity. And I never disconnected the battery.

4vertical 10-13-2008 08:55 PM

well there goes my theory. I have pulled mine severaltimes, in a hurry, without pulling fuse. All of those times I just had to slow down, replace fuse, and things were back to normal

Maybe you should pull fuse out, and then take dash panel off again to see if maybe you just bumped a wire loose? it has happened to me in the past

-Aaron

shadowman 10-13-2008 10:19 PM

try jumping the large post on the solenoid see if cart cranks over if so let us know.......did you wire the light switch into the keyswitch? if so you wired keyswitch back up right? i,m only asking this because it has to be something really stupid for it to quit like that after what you did.......do youi have a 12 volt test light.,......if so make sure you have power at the 10 amp fuse i have seen them go bad where you couldn,t telkl by looking at it so with the test light you eliminate it for sure............jump the solenoid see if it cranks over...........................8)