Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=164934)

fteti 06-07-2020 12:09 AM

Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

I was wondering if there a trick to speeding up my new 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite? It is MUCH slower than my old 2010 EZ-GO & the dealer said he couldn't make it faster (btw, the turtle/rabbit speed switch has very little effect).

I've read in some posts that some folks (like Bob Boyce) know how this can be accomplished (and may even be able to modify my cart for me), but not sure how that works/costs (don't really want to start taking the cart apart and shipping parts around).

Appreciate the help; Thanks

BobBoyce 06-07-2020 05:06 AM

Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:

Originally Posted by fteti (Post 1727486)
I was wondering if there a trick to speeding up my new 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite? It is MUCH slower than my old 2010 EZ-GO & the dealer said he couldn't make it faster (btw, the turtle/rabbit speed switch has very little effect).

I've read in some posts that some folks (like Bob Boyce) know how this can be accomplished (and may even be able to modify my cart for me), but not sure how that works/costs (don't really want to start taking the cart apart and shipping parts around).

Appreciate the help; Thanks

I hope the dealer did not corrupt your Elite... Rabbit/Turtle switch malfunction is one sign of that. If so, continuing to operate it can permanently damage the controller.

All Elite carts must be reprogrammed with the controller in the cart. The BMS is integrated to the controller. Be aware, the Elite version of the S4 and L6 is a bad design from the factory. It is a 72V cart and motor, running from a "48 volt" type lithium pack for the RXV. Due to the lowered operating voltage, the controller must supply more current to the AC motor to retain rotor lock. This means the motor runs hotter than the same cart running from a 72V lead/acid battery pack. It can be turned up, but we do not want to turn it up as much as the 72V operated version. Turning it up all the way would result in motor overheats and shutdowns. So for motor safety we like to limit it to about 27 MPH.

Bob

fteti 06-07-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBoyce (Post 1727524)
I hope the dealer did not corrupt your Elite... Rabbit/Turtle switch malfunction is one sign of that. If so, continuing to operate it can permanently damage the controller.

All Elite carts must be reprogrammed with the controller in the cart. The BMS is integrated to the controller. Be aware, the Elite version of the S4 and L6 is a bad design from the factory. It is a 72V cart and motor, running from a "48 volt" type lithium pack for the RXV. Due to the lowered operating voltage, the controller must supply more current to the AC motor to retain rotor lock. This means the motor runs hotter than the same cart running from a 72V lead/acid battery pack. It can be turned up, but we do not want to turn it up as much as the 72V operated version. Turning it up all the way would result in motor overheats and shutdowns. So for motor safety we like to limit it to about 27 MPH.

Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had done more research before buying it. We were pleased w/ our old EZ-Go cart and (since we often leave the cart unattended for weeks/months) I had thought the Lithium batteries were going to be a big plus for us.

As far as I know, the dealer didn't modify anything. Using my iPhone speed app, we recorded speeds of ~14mph (turtle mode) to ~16mph (rabbit mode). Not great accuracy from the app, but the range was fairly consistent (range ~13-17mph). I don't need to be on open roads, so 27mph would be much better than what I have.

If the controller has to be programmed in the cart, how can I get someone to do that (or give me a clue on how to do it)? I've read that you travel to certain folks; any chance you'll be in the Charlotte, NC area some time?

Thanks

fteti 06-07-2020 08:43 PM

fteti 06-07-2020 08:47 PM

Also, not sure if it helps ..
I just took a look & on top of the model info tag w/ the following info...
Model: 1234SE-6350
Voltage: 80V
Current: 350A
Date Code: 19155P
there's a sticker applied w/ the following info:
ADVBL6/Lx6
Software: 6974022 REV: B2
SVC_Controller: 697454

PS: The turtle/rabbit switch does have a slight effect. Using the SpeedBox app on my phone... in turtle mode I get a steady 14mph (max) & in rabbit mode I get a steady 16mph (max).

BobBoyce 06-08-2020 06:45 AM

PM usgicollector to get on the list...

sirtone 06-09-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fteti (Post 1727554)
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had done more research before buying it. We were pleased w/ our old EZ-Go cart and (since we often leave the cart unattended for weeks/months) I had thought the Lithium batteries were going to be a big plus for us.

As far as I know, the dealer didn't modify anything. Using my iPhone speed app, we recorded speeds of ~14mph (turtle mode) to ~16mph (rabbit mode). Not great accuracy from the app, but the range was fairly consistent (range ~13-17mph). I don't need to be on open roads, so 27mph would be much better than what I have.

If the controller has to be programmed in the cart, how can I get someone to do that (or give me a clue on how to do it)? I've read that you travel to certain folks; any chance you'll be in the Charlotte, NC area some time?

Thanks

I would like to get in on this too! I have the same cart it's a elite, but i'm in ohio :thumbdown:

mdock1988 09-23-2020 10:10 AM

I have an 2020 L4 Shoreline that I get the same, 14 and 16MPH. What are my options? I live in Kansas.

jeremyaz1 05-31-2021 05:50 PM

Have a new EZGO S4 Lithium and would love to know if speeding this up to 27mph (Bob's recommendation) could be accomplished here in Flagstaff, AZ? Thanks!

Ez slo 6 07-03-2021 08:18 PM

I have a 2020 ezgo elite L6 that I need some speed adjustments done on. Does anyone know if there is a Bob Boyce on the west coast. I am in Southern Cali