Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ezgo moving axle angle after lifting and wheel spacers (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=167289)

Marathonguy 08-01-2020 10:00 PM

Ezgo moving axle angle after lifting and wheel spacers

1 Attachment(s)
I'm hoping this is where to ask this. I have an 87 ezgo marathon and I put a 5 inch block lift in. I noticed the whole front is tipped inwards after the lift. This didnt bother me too much. Now I installed 2.5 inch wheel spacers in the front and the tires are rubbing the body on very mild turns. Basically anything but straight. I have been looking at getting 94.5 up leaf springs which are 3.5 inches longer. Before I order I'm wondering if this will bring my axle back into alignment or make the angle even worse. Also if extending it further out gives me the clearance I need, will it mess with my steering at all. Not looking to completely rebuild it. I'm hoping the pic included shows what I mean on the angle I'm talking about. Thanks.

StoveBolt 08-02-2020 06:03 AM

Re: Ezgo moving axle angle after lifting and wheel spacers

slonomo 08-02-2020 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The lift that you have is called a "lift block" and it's literally spacers that mount under the springs to achieve additional ride height. That type makes the spring/suspension geometry a little bit off because of the distance from the spring to the axle. That inward tilt is the result.

The better way would be to install a "drop axle" lift. It's designed so that the spring location remains the same, right on top of the axle. The axle is then "dropped", meaning the wheel location is lower but the center section of the front axle is unchanged. Here is a pic to illustrate.

The rubbing you are getting is from the offset of the rims. The tires are now located outwards too far and won't clear the body. Less offset in the wheels and/or skinnier tires might help. Body trimming might also be needed. If the current axle is tilted too far it could be changing the centerline of the wheels which would put them too far toward the rear, it could cause the rubbing. The tilted axle also could be causing steering issues.

Marathonguy 08-02-2020 10:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I originally wanted a drop axle but it seemed like I could only find them for 88 plus. I took a couple more pics. The axle is tilted to the rear too far for sure. I just wasnt sure if I should do longer springs or possibly shim between the springs And lift blocks or what. If there was a drop axle available I might go that route as well. I still am not sure il clear though. It drove fine up until the new wheel spacers.

Marathonguy 08-02-2020 04:15 PM

I moved my springs back to where the txt springs would set my axle which would be the 3 1/2 inches ahead. This gives me great clearance and actually straightens out my steering some. Thinking I'm just going to order new springs unless anyone has any bad feedback on doing it.