Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Limited Slip Differential Lock (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=24008)

bnall05 10-02-2009 07:28 AM

Limited Slip Differential Lock

Hello! Has anyone installed a Limited Slip Differential traction control system on there cart? How does it work on and off road? Does it work good in an off road muddy situation? Thanks!

GarageBuilt 10-02-2009 07:43 AM

Re: Limited Slip Differential Lock

Yes. I have the one from BU. After two years now & it still works fine. Is anyone ealse making them?

bnall05 10-02-2009 08:03 AM

BU is whom I am looking at. I did see another one but it is $100 higher in cost. What would happen if you welded the gears to make it permanent locking? How would that effect your on road driving?

scottyb 10-02-2009 08:17 AM

If you weld up the spiders the cart becomes hard to turn as the rear is pushing it straight. and on pavement it will be more pronounced. And lots of added rear tire wear when you do turn. Some members have done it. And some have been successful but there was a guy on here recently, looking for a rear end after the welds failed and all the broken pieces ground up his gears and axles in a hurry ???

bnall05 10-02-2009 08:24 AM

OK Scottb great to know. I think I will stick with the add-on diff lock system. Thats something I can always take off if needed.

scottyb 10-02-2009 08:32 AM

I have toyed with the idea of welding one up several times ..... the negatives always out-weighed the positives.....:mrgreen:

GarageBuilt 10-02-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 291451)
If you weld up the spiders the cart becomes hard to turn as the rear is pushing it straight. and on pavement it will be more pronounced. And lots of added rear tire wear when you do turn. Some members have done it. And some have been successful but there was a guy on here recently, looking for a rear end after the welds failed and all the broken pieces ground up his gears and axles in a hurry ???

I'm with scottyb on this one. No welding. If you are not able to get the store bought ones, then you can just pack the spider gears. I did this for two years before BU came out with their T/C. By packing the spider gears, But it has to be done right. You will have the poss/ track in a straight line & under a load. But when turning, one wheel will give. Allowing smooth turning.

scottyb 10-02-2009 09:15 AM

GB can you clarify this 'packing the spider gears' for me? Thanks :thumbup:

GarageBuilt 10-02-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 291462)
I have toyed with the idea of welding one up several times ..... the negatives always out-weighed the positives.....:mrgreen:

This is very true scottby. This is why I just say no welding. The average guy will just start welding the gears together. Wrong !!!!!!!! It is possible to weld the spider gears & be successful at it. But you will need a dma good welder that understands the properties of harden materials & knows how to preheat & weld them together with out crystallizing the gears causing them shatter.

scottyb 10-02-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 291473)
GB can you clarify this 'packing the spider gears' for me? Thanks :thumbup:

:help: