Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How do I get trash out of my gas tank? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=176662)

anna007 06-10-2021 08:04 PM

How do I get trash out of my gas tank?

My kids decided to take my 2001 E-Z-Go gas powered golf cart mud bogging. Now there is dirt in the gas tank. What is the best way to get dirt out of the gas tank? What about the gas lines? Do I need to flush them also? Is there anything else I should be aware of? It spits and sputters and it also has a little bit of backfire.

crash12888 06-11-2021 06:31 AM

Re: How do I get trash out of my gas tank?

Fill the tank with gas, let it settle a few minutes, get a piece of straight tubing, pex, copper or even a rubber hose with a coat hanger zip tied to it.
Connected to a piece of rubber hose, start to siphon out the gas into a bucket but while it is siphoning, move the bottom slowly around the bottom of the tank and vacuum it out. Most tanks except some of the Yamahas are clear/white tanks so you can shine a flashlight through the side and see the debris to vacuum.
Maybe jack up the cart and get all the junk on one end of the tank...

crash12888 06-11-2021 06:32 AM

And if it not running right you might need to clean the carb and replace the fuel filter(s).

And while you're at it, get the kids to help with the repair from their fun!!:lhmo::lhmo:

CP241 06-11-2021 07:21 AM

If it were mine, it’s only 2 bolts I believe that hold that gas tank in. I’d disconnect the fuel line from it and pull it out of the cart. Empty it and rinse it out really well with the garden hose. Flush everything out of it. Drain it and Let it dry in the sun for a couple hours and put it back in.

Fuel line is cheap. Easier to just replace them, may as well replace the fuel filters also. Let’s be honest, when is the last time that was done? They’re probably due anyway :lhmo:

Pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning. Cart ran fine before so not gonna be all crapped up it needs to be deep cleaned. A can of carb cleaner and some compressed air to clear the dirt out of it is all it should need. Remove the main jet and the float/needle. Make sure those are good and clean.

Then put it all back together. By the time you’re done with the fuel lines and cleaning the carb, the gas tank should be dry and ready to install and fill with fresh gas. :thumbup:

trig123 06-11-2021 07:14 PM

CP241, unless you know a trick I don't know you can't get the tank out of that ezgo without removing the rear body. On a workhorse you can by doing a little bending of metal but not on the TXT.

crash12888, unless I read something different about your post today and this one

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=146592

By the way, I did listen to what you told me in 2018 . No more shop vacs on gas tanks.

CP241 06-11-2021 07:24 PM

It should just be those 2 bolts at the top of the tank. Then If you bend the tab in the front a bit you can squeeze it out the side and pull it out. It’s tight but I’ve done it.

This is going off of memory, it’s been a while since I had a gas cart at all since I’ve moved to Michigan and they don’t seem to exist here lol. but I’m positive I have done it before. But the more I think of it, and looking back at some pictures, I’m not 100% sure if the engine was installed or not when I did it… but may be able to get away with just removing the airbox…

I’ve never had a non-lifted ezgo before though either. That may be a factor as well with clearance.

trig123 06-11-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1831654)
It should just be those 2 bolts at the top of the tank. Then If you bend the tab in the front a bit you can squeeze it out the side and pull it out. It’s tight but I’ve done it.

This is going off of memory, it’s been a while since I had a gas cart at all since I’ve moved to Michigan and they don’t seem to exist here lol. but I’m positive I have done it before. But the more I think of it, and looking back at some pictures, I’m not 100% sure if the engine was installed or not when I did it… but may be able to get away with just removing the airbox…

I’ve never had a non-lifted ezgo before though either. That may be a factor as well with clearance.

I removed one back when I worked at the city golf course without removing the body but in the process I sort of destroyed the tank, or almost anyway 8).

I took a long bar and compressed the tank and after more time that should have been taken I got it out but never again would I try that.

I could have drilled out the rivets on two carts and removed the body in the time it took me trying to take a shortcut I did back then.

Removing the rear body on a TXT is about the only safe way to get one out without messing it up. Its also the way the manual tells to do it. :thumbup:

I do think you are thinking about removing the tank on a workhorse. Yes you can bend those tabs which I mentioned and get it out but not on a TXT.

sthreatt 06-11-2021 07:39 PM

Clean it out any way you can, but WHATEVER YOU DO don't stick a shop vac in a gas tank. You'll be standing beside a bomb. Filling a canister with gas fumes that are being blown through a motor with brushes arcing fire is not a good plan.

trig123 06-11-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sthreatt (Post 1831657)
Clean it out any way you can, but WHATEVER YOU DO don't stick a shop vac in a gas tank. You'll be standing beside a bomb. Filling a canister with gas fumes that are being blown through a motor with brushes arcing fire is not a good plan.

There are brushless shop vacs but I would never use one for tank trash again.

CP241 06-11-2021 08:14 PM

You may be right. It’s been a while :lol:

What I know I’ve done on other carts is pump the tank empty. Then shove a terry cloth towel in there and use a long pry bar to scrub it around. Picks up the dirt pretty good. Then remove the rag, and blow it out best you can. New lines and filters and anything you miss in the tank should be caught by the fuel filter.