Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gas Engine ? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=50018)

infidel325 06-22-2011 01:36 PM

Gas Engine ?

I have a 1998 Yamaha electric and was thinking about putting a gas engine in.
What size/HP motor would be needed to pull 2 adults?
What engine is the best to use?
How do you connect it to the rear end?
I know it is a lot of fab work which is fine and I have serched for writeups and can't find
Anything that really helps me.
If you know of any please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

smallblock450sl 06-22-2011 06:38 PM

Re: Gas Engine ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by infidel325 (Post 582351)
I have a 1998 Yamaha electric and was thinking about putting a gas engine in.
What size/HP motor would be needed to pull 2 adults?
What engine is the best to use?
How do you connect it to the rear end?
I know it is a lot of fab work which is fine and I have serched for writeups and can't find
Anything that really helps me.
If you know of any please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

It would be so much work and money, I'd suggest selling your electric and buying a gas car. Not trying to mean at all, just honest. Good luck

crash12888 06-22-2011 07:20 PM

This question comes up often because electric donors or fixer up'ers are cheaper than gas so most figure buy an electric and convert.
Trust me, you will not be money or time ahead with this project.
Do the build (parts cost) on paper first and then compare. Don't forget machine shop costs.
That's why you will not find much info on the subject.
The cost and time involved is far greater than selling your electric and picking up a gas cart to start with.
Sorry to sound negetive but have seen a couple started and then they just dissapear.

infidel325 06-22-2011 07:50 PM

I appreciate any info good or bad!
i have been looking on youtube and found that people have put 6.5hp go cart motors on looks easy and what im going to go for.
im not looking for speed just to be able to ride around for a long time.
My batteries are not holding and im not spending $1,200 for batteries when i can just buy a motor for $100 and do some fabricating.
The only hard part i see is mounting a sproket on the read diff getting the right splines and making it stay/mounting it.

infidel325 06-22-2011 07:51 PM

When i get my garage cleaned out i will start on the teardown and take pics as i go.it probly wont start for a few weeks.

crash12888 06-22-2011 09:32 PM

Cool, Will try to offer any help I can on your build and we do like pictures!! :thumbup:

Mike Mac 06-24-2011 10:46 AM

I'd second thought that; now you have a car that is probably sellable, you put a 6hp in there and it won't be worth anything!
Good luck!

infidel325 06-24-2011 10:58 AM

I don't see it any different than putting a big block in,other than it being a smaller motor.
It is a project I have been wanting to to for a while now.I traded a firearm for the cart cause I
Figured it would be more fun for my family than a gun sitting in the cabinet next to the rest of them!

Mike Mac 06-24-2011 11:06 AM

Enjoy the build!

infidel325 06-24-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mac (Post 583377)
I'd second thought that; now you have a car that is probably sellable, you put a 6hp in there and it won't be worth anything!
Good luck!

I believe when it is finished I will at Least get my money back out of it if I sold it.
We go camping at Disney and stay at Fortwilderness resort where they rent out golf carts
And you can ride around anywhere you want.the problem is they are electric and $90.00 a day to rent.That's what I'm building it for mainly.