Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G8 with some starting issues (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=81060)

kev2504 06-03-2013 01:08 PM

G8 with some starting issues

I have a '92 G8, and have a question about the solenoid. I replaced the solenoid after I got the cart back in '09. A few weeks ago she died on my wife. It would sometimes crank, but not start. After a few taps on the solenoid she would start up. I just put a new one in, and she started and ran, for a while. I then put the seat on, and was going to take it for a drive, and it would crank very slowly. Sometimes she will crank and start up and run like normal. Stop, and crank slow. I think I am having starter/generator problems also.

What would cause the solenoid to fail?

I should be replacing the starter/generator this weekend.

Kevin

stuff4mason 06-03-2013 08:23 PM

Re: G8 with some starting issues

Kevin, you can replace the parts of the starter/generator, instead of the whole unit. These parts can be purchased and replaced. If you choose that route, just be sure not to breath the black dust inside the generator. Nasty stuff, but clean it out well.

I'd try to fix the generator first, then see if your still having problems with the solenoid. Is the small belt tight on the generator?

bigstik40 06-03-2013 08:25 PM

Automotive alternator/starter repair shop should be able to test and/or rebuild it also (turn & undercut commutator + new brushes + new bearings if needed). Good luck - RAY

Mike Mac 06-03-2013 08:47 PM

I have some concerns that your starter is dragging. Wonder if the cables (that are attached to the starter) are warm after a few slow starting tries. That might be cooking your solenoid, possibly making your starter need replacing. and not rebuildable. Just food for thought, and hoping I'm wrong!!

Naaa, G8's don't break!!:shock:

kev2504 06-04-2013 12:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have rebuilt the engine, replaced the carb, both belts, the engine tensioner, and the solenoid now twice. I ordered a new starter/generator, voltage regulator, and stop switch. Figured the starter is 21 years old, the windings are the same. $145 free shipping. I can rebuild it, and either sell it, or keep it for a spare. I have all new parts to rebuild the secondary clutch. Then will be the primary. Lift kit and tires next year, if the wife lets me.

I have a new battery and battery post mounts, but not the cables, yet.

We have the cart at the campground, by Wisconsin Dells, so I work on it on the weekends.

Thanks, sorry for the ramble

kev2504 06-12-2013 11:04 AM

Time for an update.
I installed the new starter/Gen, and she worked great, for a while. Then the lights went dark, and nothing. Totally dead. Had it towed back to our campsite. Come to find out Sunday morning, there is a thin black wire, not sure where it comes or goes. It comes out of the wire harness, has a plug, and goes under the engine. It seems that the cart operates when this wire is plugged together. Must have pulled it apart a bit while installing the starter. Works like a champ now. DOH

Mike Mac 06-13-2013 08:15 AM

That wire is often a problem. Make sure it is grounded well to the starter ground lug!

kev2504 06-13-2013 12:55 PM

I will look at it next weekend to see exactly where it goes. I don't think it was the one that goes to the starter, but will verify.
Thanks

Mike Mac 06-13-2013 08:54 PM

If its a small black wire right in front of the starter, that goes into the wire harness, its a ground wire. Connects to the ground lug of the starter.

Anyway, glad ya got it running!!

kev2504 06-14-2013 12:54 PM

Thanks, I'm glad too. Was just a bit upset when it went dark. Good thing I didn't blow it up. Learning alot from the forum's.