Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Won't crank, I'm stumped (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=79347)

flying jeep 04-27-2013 01:20 PM

Won't crank, I'm stumped

Won't crank. I suspected throttle pedel switch, but it ohms out good. Connectors were gross, so I replaced them. I've got power through the switch. I can jumper the solenoid and it will crank. I ohmed the red/white wire to the solenoid from the switch and it looks ok. But I do not have power at the solenoid when pedel is pushed. I know my ground is good as I can jump it to crank. I ran a jumper wire from the switch to the solenoid and got nothing. Just writing this out gave me a couple ideas I need to try. One other question: If you are turning the starter with the pedel pushed down, is it running when the engine is running? How does it turn from a starter to a generator if you're power the start side of the field coil?

sho305 04-27-2013 02:22 PM

Re: Won't crank, I'm stumped

Any DC motor will generate when it has a load on it, meaning it is being spun harder than it wants to go. So starting it turns the engine running or not. When you gas it the engine runs faster than the starter and it can then be a generator. The voltage regulator controls current through the field windings in the gen, that is how it controls how much it charges or not.

You should have 12v after the pedal switch when you activate it (and only when on), that goes to the solenoid (in a g9) and also to the ignitor and coil. So nothing will work without power in that wire in a g2/9. Also make sure you have grounds to engine and such, make sure it is not fuses out there on pos and neg power, make sure its not battery post clamp acting up on you and quitting under load. They key cuts the 12v before the pedal switch, if you turn it off.

flying jeep 04-28-2013 09:51 AM

Yes, the switch is working as it should. Power on and off with the pedal. The solenoid must have a good ground as I can jump right to the solenoid and the engine will crank. I'm starting to suspect a bad wire under the cart. My wife told me last night that she saw a chipmunk under the cart the other day. I'm gonna run a new wire from the switch to the solenoid and see what happens. I bet the wire is chewed half way through. Just enough to look like I'm getting continuity, but not enough to pass current. I've had that happen before. Drove me nuts for days.

flying jeep 04-28-2013 03:13 PM

Fixed! I found a 10amp fuse just forward of the drivers side rear wheel. So then it would crank, but not start. After going through the steps, spark, air, and fuel, I found fuel to be lacking. The carb had about a 1/4" of crap in the bowl. It starts and runs good and it's still the fasted cart in the neighborhood!

sho305 04-28-2013 08:43 PM

Great you got it going!