Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   what all do i need to upgrade? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=34841)

Huntinhauler 06-27-2010 10:22 PM

what all do i need to upgrade?

i'm thinking about picking up an electric ezgo, with dead batteries, so my wheels got to turning. i initially ruled out ezgo's because they are 36v, but i know that they can be upgraded. i have read a lot about the conversion, but everybody's needs seem to be a little different. my main concern is having extra torque. i am not worried about top end. so if i lift the cart and want torque, what all would i need to make the conversion over to 48v?

Huntinhauler 06-29-2010 04:35 PM

Re: what all do i need to upgrade?

ok, i know lots of questions get asked repeatedly and yes, i have read lots of the other posts.
so maybe, i can streamline this a little.
if the cart is lifted and i am mostly concerned with getting enough torque to climb steep hills and i am sticking with the stock electric motor...
i know i would need 8v batteries and i would upgrade to 4ga wires.

assuming this is going in a ezgo txt...
my main issue: is all that is left a controller? which would be the best for hill climbing? trying to keep the controller cost down.

DVR 06-29-2010 05:38 PM

alltrax 400 on 36v has been great for me. my cart is lifted, 22in tires, utility bed and used for leisure, farm and hunting.

to go to 48v you would wise to do eight 6v with 2 in the bagwell. you would also need a controller capable of 48v, 48v solenoid, 48v worth of batteries and a 48v charger.

physcoflip 06-29-2010 07:51 PM

you may want to talk to plumb quick motors they can recomend a high torque motor and controller configuration for you and you may be able to keep it 36volt and not have to shell out a bundle for a charger.

onesojourner 06-29-2010 10:38 PM

I am in the same boat. you are going to need the controller, 48v solenoid, new cables and 6 8v batteries or 8 6v batteries. You also may need a heavy duty forward and reverse switch. I am not sure how necessary that is though.

COURTESYCART 06-30-2010 08:21 AM

i would go with a 400 amp controller and go with upgraded motor and new batteries. I would stay 36V since chargers are very expensive. You would probably come out cheaper by staying 36v with upgraded motor.

tguarino 06-30-2010 08:24 AM

Sounds like you have not yet bought the cart right?

You may want to try Craigs List or look around a bit for a 48v cart.

6 batteries, alltrax, soleniod, lift kit, charger = that is somewhere around 1500-2000 dollars. You may just try to find a cart that has what you want...

Also, seems like you may be using it for hunting and other more "off road", you may want to consider gas...