Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   85 ezgo quits after half mile (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=154262)

CheapDude 06-22-2019 05:22 PM

85 ezgo quits after half mile

Son drug home a 1985 ezgo gas. We fixed the driven clutch, but it would die after running a while and would have no spark. I tried switching to HEI ignition, but had no luck. Had it wired wrong. After giving up on that, I went back to the original setup, but had no fire at all. Traced it to the pulser, so i replaced that. It fired right up and runs great. We can run it forever, if we keep going, but if we stop for a while, it doesn't have spark again. Let it set for half an hour and it runs again. I would like to try the HEI again, but am having trouble finding a diagram for a 2 PG engine. Is the diagram the same for the 3Pg engine?
Any suggestions what to try when it has no spark?

cart around 06-22-2019 07:40 PM

Re: 85 ezgo quits after half mile

1 Attachment(s)
The only difference is that yours doesn't have the extra neutral safety switch.

There is also another variable. All HEI modules are not created the same. That means you have to switch the red, and blue wires from the pulsar to see which way runs the best.

You can use this 85 manual to compare diagrams.

CheapDude 06-23-2019 04:09 PM

I have tried 2 different Hei units wired as shown on the 3pg detail. Blue and red from the pulser to W and O respectively, (have switched them and still no fire) C has a black wire from D- on the voltage regulator and B goes to the orange wire on the coil. This will not fire the coil. What am i missing?

If i switch the pulser wires back to the original setup, it will run till it warms up, then will not fire. That is why i would like to switch to the Hei unit.

cart around 06-23-2019 05:07 PM

C goes to the negative side of the coil. The black wire going to ground on the voltage regulator should be going to the mounting holes in the module.
B goes to the positive side of the solenoid, or the ignition coil. Doesn't matter they both converge at the solenoid.

You should have 5 wires.

CheapDude 06-24-2019 09:17 PM

Wiring it correctly worked. Thank you
I left the blue and red hooked up the way it is in the 3pg diagram. Started right up and runs good. Went about a mile, stopped, let it set for a while and it started right off.

Thanks again

cart around 06-25-2019 12:09 AM

Glad to hear that it worked.