Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Street Legal ? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=69906)

cpc12 09-06-2012 08:25 PM

Street Legal ?

I live in upstate NY and I wanted to see if it was possible to get my 08 Precedent street legal. I heard you can get them street legal in Florida, but thats florida.

if possible what would I need... seat belts , lights, blinkers,

Do you actually get lisc plates ? Insurance ?

I would live in a small village and would love to be able to run around town in my cart...

Stevegrmich 09-07-2012 05:13 AM

Re: Street Legal ?

You need to check your state's Division of Motor Vehicles to see what is required to make the cart street legal for your state. Requirements can vary state to state and some states may not even have provisions to make a golf cart street legal. I believe NY is one of those states. I think if the LSV was not originally built by the manufacturer as a LSV, they will deny licensing/titling it as such, ie, a converted golf cart would not become an LSV in NY. . . . :thumbup:

2manytoyz 09-07-2012 11:00 AM

Even in FL, you can't drive golf carts most places:

"A golf cart may be operated only upon a county road that has been designated by a county, or a municipal street that has been designated by a municipality, for use by golf carts." Reference FL statute 316.212.

Neighborhoods near golf courses are usually designated okay for golf cart use. Most anywhere else, not. Legally, I can't drive mine in my neighborhood off my property.

I do see people driving through the neighborhood periodically, but if the popo is called, they could get a ticket.

jps11 09-07-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manytoyz (Post 773199)
Even in FL, you can't drive golf carts most places:

"A golf cart may be operated only upon a county road that has been designated by a county, or a municipal street that has been designated by a municipality, for use by golf carts." Reference FL statute 316.212.

Neighborhoods near golf courses are usually designated okay for golf cart use. Most anywhere else, not. Legally, I can't drive mine in my neighborhood off my property.

I do see people driving through the neighborhood periodically, but if the popo is called, they could get a ticket.

In Florida, a street legal golf cart becomes a Low Speed Vehicle and you can drive on streets with a speed limit of less than 35.

delagem 09-07-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpc12 (Post 773016)
I live in upstate NY

cpc, where do you live?

What Stevegrmich is saying is what I found out to be the case in NY...

I spoke with DMV and basically it comes down to this; a vehicle without a 17 digit VIN simply cannot be registered in NY. They just won't do it.

I considered taking mine to FL, getting it registered, and then trying to transfer that registration back to NY. I was unable to get an answer on whether DMV would allow that or not, so it would have been an expensive gamble.

The only "right" way to do it is to sell your golf cart, and buy an LSV. Not a cheap option.

So instead, I simply started driving my cart around town. Just a little at first, kinda test the waters. The next year, I saw a few more people doing it, and now I see 4 to 5 golf carts zipping around town. Golf carts, Gators, Kubotas.

Good luck!

lampooner1 09-07-2012 05:46 PM

Move to SC, here is latest regulation.

You are allowed to drive a golf cart outside of a golf course only if you do so during daylight hours, limit your travel to secondary streets and highways, and remain within four miles of your residence or office.

Registration with DMV only requires filling out one simple form and mailing it in to the DMV.

2manytoyz 09-07-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jps11 (Post 773263)
In Florida, a street legal golf cart becomes a Low Speed Vehicle and you can drive on streets with a speed limit of less than 35.

Not according to the FL Statute I quoted.

Definitions:

“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.

"LSV": Defined by Florida Statute 320.01(42) as “any four-wheeled electric vehicles whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles per hour,” low speed vehicles include NEV or neighborhood electric vehicles. Golf carts are prohibited from operation on roads with a few exceptions detailed in s. 316.212. As with motor vehicles, low speed vehicles are subject to a license tax, which is the same as that prescribed in Florida Statute s. 320.08- for non-electrically powered vehicles.

This isn't my "opinion". It was taken from the FL Statute. Whether or not it's enforced is another thing.

The only good part I read is they are now permitted in FL State Parks, provided you comply with the safety rules. Maybe a step in the right direction.

Edited to add the following:

"A low-speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, taillamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, seat belts, and vehicle identification numbers."

The VIN part you can't get on your golf cart. This is described in 316.2122, paragraph 2.

jps11 09-07-2012 07:04 PM

Whatever...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eet-legal.html

2manytoyz 09-07-2012 07:08 PM

Yup.

delagem 09-07-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jps11 (Post 773360)
Whatever...

Let me translate that for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manytoyz (Post 773351)
Not according to the FL Statute I quoted.

NewB, do some reading here. It is fairly simple to convert a golf cart into an LSV in FL, including a VIN assigned by the state. It's all covered in this very section, if you do some reading.

Less posting, more reading...