Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Trouble with my Workhorse (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=84445)

StoveBolt 08-19-2013 03:49 PM

Trouble with my Workhorse

All I did was change the gen/starter belt (and it's not over tight) and now I get this soft... yee yee yee yee, when traveling slow to half throttle, sounds like it's in the drive train, but does it in neutral too.

Now sitting here thinking about it, I did have the drive belt off and wonder if I put it back on in the same direction, think it could have worn in a way that the opposite direction could cause this?

kangaroo 08-19-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Trouble with my Workhorse

Starter belt should have half-inch play only. Try tightening it a bit.

Pitbull Joe 08-19-2013 08:36 PM

Hope you get it figured out SB.

mcdave71 08-20-2013 11:19 AM

I have a noise that just recently started after a motor wash that wasn't there before. It was coming from the starter/gen but didn't sound too bad. Like a bearing just starting to go out. Pulled belt and spinning forward you could hear it but not backwards. Pulled it off and apart and it turned out to be a brush just making a small noise. Pull the drive belt off and see if it's still there?

dan161 08-21-2013 01:20 PM

I have a squeeling noise coming from my engine as well. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I tried taking the starter belt off and the starter runs forward and backwards just as freely as could be. Put the belt back on without drive belt on and i can here it very plainly at very low rpm but not able to pinpoint where its coming from. I don't know that you can really overtighten the belt as mine is very tight. Let us know if you figure it out so we can try the same things. Good luck.

kgsc 08-21-2013 01:23 PM

dan, your belt may be too tight causing a bearing in the SG to squeal.. If you back off some, does it go away ?

StoveBolt 08-21-2013 01:38 PM

Thanks guy's and kgsc is right on, I got out there this morning pulled the drive belt (thanks dave) and the noise was still there. remembering back in my old flathead days you cant tighten a belt on a gen like on a alt.

There is a sweet spot btwn making noise and slipping when you start it though, maybe worn bearing too.

Sorry for the late response but I spent the day yesterday in the bowels of Detroit.. good to be back alive.