Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Non-PDS won't go in Reverse (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=52580)

ibelieve 08-08-2011 03:51 PM

Non-PDS won't go in Reverse

I have a non-PDS '2001' that works fine in forward but does nothing in reverse. The reverse buzzer sounds but I doesn't move when I depress the peddle. Is it possible that the big manual Forward/Reverse selector could have a problem only in reverse? Is there an easy way to trouble shoot this?

I looked at the wiring diagram and also the physical switch. Nothing seems out of the ordinary with the switch and the wiring diagram doesn't make it clear that the switch could be the failure point, but I don't know what else it could be.

If no one has any suggestions, I guess I need to start tearing it apart and checking things with a meter.

Thanks,
Steve

desigmon 08-09-2011 01:28 PM

Re: Non-PDS won't go in Reverse

You say it's a non-PDS, so is it safe to say it's a DCS cart?

I had pretty much the same problem with my '99 DCS cart. It would go fine Forward, but if I put it in Reverse the beeper would come on but still go Forward. It turned out to be my controller.

I'm still "Not Wild" and learning myself, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

ibelieve 08-09-2011 02:39 PM

I think what I have is called a Fleet model not a DCS or PDS. It does not use the controller to go in reverse, rather a large mechanical switch that changes the polarity to the motor.

Thanks anyway.

/Steve

desigmon 08-09-2011 02:52 PM

I guess that's a series cart.

AzPete 08-09-2011 08:43 PM

Could be the F&R switch.....or it could be that one micro switch is not working. I bought a new heavy duty F&R and had no reverse. Found the arm on the micro switch was bent and not moving properly. Adjusted and works great. Mine is a '96 so there could be some differences....

ibelieve 08-10-2011 08:56 PM

I'll check the micro sw first as that is easy. Otherwise I will try and get a meter on the connection to the F/R sw to figure out what is going on. I'm sort of betting on the micro sw as all the contacts on the F/R switch are use in both forward and reverse ... it would seem odd to only have an issue with one direction.

Thanks,

Steve

scottyb 08-10-2011 11:00 PM

In a series cart I would say the problem is in the F&R micros or the contacts. Does the solenoid click in reverse just like it does in forward?

ibelieve 08-19-2011 10:19 AM

The solenoid does click when in reverse and the pedal is depressed. I checked the micro switches and they seem to work OK. I guess I will need to pull the F/R switch and see what is wrong with it.

I am wondering, though, what pin 3 on the controller does? Perhaps limit the speed in reverse?

Thanks.

Steve

ibelieve 08-19-2011 10:51 AM

Found it ... orange wire = half speed

so it shouldn't have anything to do with not running in reverse.

ibelieve 09-14-2011 08:30 AM

It turned out to be the F/R switch. The contacts were burnt and only making partial contact.

Thanks,

Steve