Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1997 EZGO TXT series.... Solenoid clicks only (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=81164)

fall flight 06-05-2013 03:56 PM

1997 EZGO TXT series.... Solenoid clicks only

Guys hope you can help me out with this cart... No go with solenoid click only. Here is what I have replaced with new components

HD Solenoid
ALLTRAXX Controller NPX4844EZ
Pedal Microswitch
All 4G cables...
FNR replaced 4 months ago.

Battery pack solid at 38.2. Tested everything but ITS and motor... bypassed the reed switch. At solenoid click I get 4 blinking green lights on the controller which means the controller detect ITS. Do you think the motor is the issue? Thanks for your help.

apundtTX 06-05-2013 05:03 PM

Re: 1997 EZGO TXT series.... Solenoid clicks only

I had this happen to me last week when working on my FNR switch.
Try tightening the center bolt on the back side of the FNR where everything
rotates on 5/8 or 9/16 nut I believe
Maybe the switch contacts are not pressing together enough.
Does it still beep at you in reverse?

fall flight 06-05-2013 08:49 PM

yes it beeps when I put it in reverse.

fall flight 06-06-2013 07:42 PM

new findings ...I did the troubleshooting flowchart in the Ezgo Service Manual for 2000 and up(non PDS) off the forum sticky. Now my cart is 97 series (F1297) fleet

key on ..direction selector F ...pedal fully depressed

voltage between the controller B+ & Controller M- 38.2V

key on ..direction selector F

voltage between Battery B- and M-(controller) 18.9?
voltage between Battery B- and FNR A 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR B 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and Motor S2 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and Motor S1 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR D 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR C 18.9?

According to the flowchart it states correct wire problem in directional selector(FNR)

I verified the connection at A2 on the motor were C is connected and I am getting 18.9 volts there also.

New Altraxx controller is connected as follows.......per their diagram:
B+ FNR (A) and Battery +
M- Motor A1
B- Solenoid black small terminal and Battery - fuse

FNR is currently connected as follows:

A - B+ (controller)
B- S2 Motor
C- A2 Motor
D - S1 Motor

Now the confusing part the Ezgo Service manual says the FNR should be connected as follows"

A - M-
B - S1 motor
C - A2 motor
D - S2 motor

When I replaced the cables from the controller to the FNR and from the FNR to the motor, I did them 1 at at a time so I would not make a mistake. Is the FNR wired wrong

fall flight 06-06-2013 08:58 PM

Scotty ...JohnnieB,,,sure could use some help...thanks

JohnnieB 06-06-2013 11:50 PM

Is the 18.9V between B- and M- when the pedal is up, when pedal is only pushed until solenoid clicks, or when the pedal is all the way down?

However, regardless of the pedal position, you do have 18.9V, so you have a bad connection between FNR-C and either FNR-B or FNR-D. (C shorts to either B or D depending on whether lever is in F or R and you've got 36.9V on B & D while you only have 18.9 on C.)

The FNR can be wired either way. I'd go with the way Alltrax shows on their schematic since that is the one to be used for troubleshooting your cart in the future.

Ky81538 06-07-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fall flight (Post 890880)
Guys hope you can help me out with this cart... No go with solenoid click only. Here is what I have replaced with new components

HD Solenoid
ALLTRAXX Controller NPX4844EZ
Pedal Microswitch
All 4G cables...
FNR replaced 4 months ago.

Battery pack solid at 38.2. Tested everything but ITS and motor... bypassed the reed switch. At solenoid click I get 4 blinking green lights on the controller which means the controller detect ITS. Do you think the motor is the issue? Thanks for your help.

I have the same chopper as you. If you want to test the motor to be sure, Scotty B gives a good diagram in one of my past threads. Use only 12 V and put it up on jack stands to be safe.
Here is the thread:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ller-shot.html

fall flight 06-07-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnieB (Post 891577)
Is the 18.9V between B- and M- when the pedal is up, when pedal is only pushed until solenoid clicks, or when the pedal is all the way down?

However, regardless of the pedal position, you do have 18.9V, so you have a bad connection between FNR-C and either FNR-B or FNR-D. (C shorts to either B or D depending on whether lever is in F or R and you've got 36.9V on B & D while you only have 18.9 on C.)

The FNR can be wired either way. I'd go with the way Alltrax shows on their schematic since that is the one to be used for troubleshooting your cart in the future.

Thanks JohnnieB! the 18.9V was with the pedal up per the service manual. How do you test the connections on a FNR? the studs/bolts are tight and the cables are brand new...Should I replace it? checked the connections at the bolts nothing looks burned?

JohnnieB 06-07-2013 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fall flight (Post 891587)
Thanks JohnnieB! the 18.9V was with the pedal up per the service manual. How do you test the connections on a FNR? the studs/bolts are tight and the cables are brand new...Should I replace it? checked the connections at the bolts nothing looks burned?

Okay, you got 18.9V at Step 37 of the troubleshooting tree. That failed the test (Should have been Pack voltage less 0.5V to 2.5V), so you would have been directed to Step 38 and then to other half dozen or so steps and eventually found the missing voltage.

Attached is a drawing Scottyb put together that shows how to test the F/R switch with an Ohmmeter:mrgreen:

Note: You have to remove the cables to test the F/R switch or you blow up your Ohmmeter.

---------
If it has never been replaced, the F/R switch has seen 16 years of use and you are now using a 400A controller, so upgrading to a heavy-duty F/R switch wouldn't be a bad idea. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html

fall flight 06-07-2013 01:23 PM

thanks JohnnieB...I found the missing voltage at step 37 and proceeded all the way to step 43 were I stopped at FNR C...which is were 18.9V was detected. according to the service manual it stated "correct wire in direction selector". The FNR is new( 4 months) but its not a HD...should I order one of Scotty's HD cams or do I need to order a whole new FNR? One other question.. once I do the continuity test and find the problem....what do I do next...,can I replace a part or do I need to replace the FNR completely. Again thanks for your help...need this cart back running bad..its main use is for training gun dogs in the field..all the walking and carrying equipment is killing this old dude...lol

voltage between Battery B- and M-(controller) 18.9V (Step 37)
voltage between Battery B- and FNR A 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR B 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR D 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR C 18.9V (Step 43) ...this were I stopped