Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2007 ST350 won't fire (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=136262)

Mrjonman 10-23-2017 10:40 PM

2007 ST350 won't fire

Cart sat for 1.5yrs. Was told it would crank but notnfire when parked.

List of things I did;

-drained old fuel
-new fuel filter
-new fuel pump
-new fuel lines
-new PVC hose
-new carburetor and gaskets
-new spark plugs
-new air filter
-changed oil
-new oil filter
-changed gear oil
-new battery

Cart won't start. Will crank and can smell gas. Sprayed cleaner into carb and got some pretty hefty backfire pops but still wouldn't fire. Verified it has spark.

My first guess is it's getting too much fuel, and need to adjust the main jet screw and the idle mixture screw, but figured I would ask here first.

Any other things I should be looking at?

Sanfordhb 10-23-2017 11:11 PM

Re: 2007 ST350 won't fire

Had same problem with my 92 marathon. Sat for same time. Replaced everything you did. Found it not firing on one cylinder. Replaced coil and runs better than ever now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrjonman 10-24-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanfordhb (Post 1444260)
Had same problem with my 92 marathon. Sat for same time. Replaced everything you did. Found it not firing on one cylinder. Replaced coil and runs better than ever now!

Hadn't thought about the coil

How hard of a job was that?

meimk 10-24-2017 06:59 AM

You said "Verified it has spark", that's what the coil does, provides spark. It's pretty easy to replace, but I'd hate for you to just randomly throw more parts (and money) at it.
I understand you replaced all of what you did in an effort to get it running again, but it does kind of muddy the waters regarding diagnosing a running problem.
Have you tested compression yet? Those were famous for valve adjustment issues. When you "Verified it has spark" did you check both wires off the coil? They do both fire at the same time, but if one of the wires is bad it could only fire the plug in one cylinder. You'll see many mentions of aftermarket replacement carburetors being bad right out of the box, so keep the original one handy (if you still have it). Quite often all they need is a good cleaning.
I guess what I'm really saying is test a few things before you spend a bunch more on parts. Ignitions on those (pulsar, ignitor module, ignition coil) can add up $ in a hurry, and might not do anything to help your problem.

Cartmaster 10-24-2017 07:18 AM

I will jump in here. If it is the twin cylinder robin engine then Meimk is probably spot on. These engines are designed with soft valves to highlight poor filtration on the intake. Whip the plastic top off the head and adjust valve lash to .004 thou (if you do not know how to do this, check back here and ask ) . If you find that the two inner valve gaps are tight, then this is your problem, the two outer exhaust valves will most likely be fine. If you do not have feeler gauges, then loosen the adjusters, wind them back in till they just touch the top of the valve, then rotate exactly 1/4 turn back out and lock off. This will be enough to start the engine until you can set them up with feelers.

If you find this was your problem, then put all the old stuff back on that you have replaced and get your money back.

Good luck.

Mrjonman 10-24-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanfordhb (Post 1444260)

Plus I've verified that both plugs have spark, so I figured that meant the coil assembly was fine, that incorrect? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Mrjonman 10-24-2017 07:27 AM

Sorry responded again without refreshing to see the 2 other responses.

Yes I tested both plugs and they both had spark. I don't have the valve tools but I will venture into that today.

I do still have the old carburetor and I did wonder if maybe it was a bad new one ($19.99 carb) from Amazon.

Some of the lines/hoses were showing dry rot and overall none of the stuff was very expensive so no desire to return any of it, all just simple maintencenstuff anyways.

Greatly appreciate everyone's help, as this is my first gas cart only had 2 electric prior

Cartmaster 10-24-2017 08:11 AM

Ok, You need a ten mil socket/spanner and you need to remove the top plastic cover ( six bolts), all i want you to do right now is have a look for me. Also remove the spark plugs and have a long pencil ready.or a drinking straw.

Mrjonman 10-24-2017 08:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cover removed and here are the pics....which I'm sure will show up sideways

Spicyunicorn 10-24-2017 08:29 AM

Set valve lash to .004 there's a thread on here how to do it http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...djustment.html