Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Starter/Generator not charging. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=8778)

Loud & Lifted 09-29-2008 12:44 PM

Starter/Generator not charging.

Doesnt seem like me starter/gen is charging the battery. I put a meter on the battery,put the cart in nuetral and gave it gas and didnt seem like it was charging. I thinkin its the brushes. What do ya'll think?

spriddle 09-29-2008 12:46 PM

Re: Starter/Generator not charging.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me.

Big Bump 09-29-2008 02:14 PM

I would think that if the brushes are good enough to run the
starting side, they should be good enough to do the charging
part. Sounds like voltage regulator to me.

spriddle 09-29-2008 02:18 PM

Actually, big bump is correct, if it will run the engine with no problems. I don't know what I was thinking for a minute. :roll:

ruredy 09-29-2008 08:47 PM

to test for bad vr take the green wire off the start/gen and ground it to the frame. test voltage at the battery while the engine is running, will read around 16v if the vr is bad

Loud & Lifted 09-30-2008 07:10 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check the vr when I get home tonite. I figured it was one of the two causin the problem. No sense in throwin parts at it till its fixed. That gets expensive.

thevoth 07-06-2009 01:13 PM

I have an 84 marathon and I get a varible reading in the charging circut I have tried grounding the common feild wire (green) from the generator and still get a reading that jumps al over. could the soliniod be bad?
dv

GoBeau 08-19-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevoth (Post 234012)
I have an 84 marathon and I get a varible reading in the charging circut I have tried grounding the common feild wire (green) from the generator and still get a reading that jumps al over. could the soliniod be bad?
dv

Just curious, did you ever find out what was the cause of the battery not charging? Having similar problems and also was wondering if the Solinoid could be the issue. Have change the Battery, Starter/Generator and Voltage Regulator and belts..... still having an issue with battery not charging. Thanks.

cart around 08-20-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBeau (Post 1752031)
Just curious, did you ever find out what was the cause of the battery not charging? Having similar problems and also was wondering if the Solinoid could be the issue. Have change the Battery, Starter/Generator and Voltage Regulator and belts..... still having an issue with battery not charging. Thanks.

The solenoid has one purpose. That is to pass current from the battery to the starter. It stays engaged the entire time the engine is running. That means that if your starter is turning, and your engine is running...….. There is nothing wrong with your solenoid.