Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Help with my front bumper mount - 2008 DS (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=166711)

Idlehands 07-18-2020 08:27 PM

Help with my front bumper mount - 2008 DS

4 Attachment(s)
So I took my front cowl off on my 'new-to-me' 2008 Club Car DS. What I found was a mangled mess of metal and aluminum. I know this isn't right, and I'm not looking for perfection, but I at least want the bumper mount attached to the frame. My DS lived a hard life previously at a golf course, and had some shotty repair work done, from what I can tell. I can't blame them too much though, to them these cars are money makers and they just need to run, doesn't have to be pretty. And I knew going in I was buying a rental car....we all know how rental cars get treated.

Well I want it fixed correctly and I've found my first big head scratcher (see pics). I'm thinking it's better to just re-weld the front bumper support and ditch the 'extra stuff added by the golf course mechanic, I'm just not sure of the 'right way' to do it. I also have a few other pieces throughout the car that will need to be welded but I've got those figured out.

I'll be calling a local mobile welding guy to come do the job, just need to make sure I give him the right information on what to do. anyone have any tips or recommendations?

Timscarts 07-19-2020 08:48 AM

Re: Help with my front bumper mount - 2008 DS

I bet if you Check out the rest of the frame you'll find a bunch of cracked welds, pretty common on a ds that's had a rough life.

retiredtech 07-19-2020 09:59 AM

when welding be sure that all the electrical is unhooked. the computers cannot handle the voltage spikes from welding.

Spoolx 07-19-2020 10:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my front end, hope this helps

Idlehands 07-19-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredtech (Post 1741859)
when welding be sure that all the electrical is unhooked. the computers cannot handle the voltage spikes from welding.

So I've already unhooked the main positive and negative sides of the batteries, but do I need to unhook anything else?

When I took off the rear body, I had to disconnect the f/r switch, charger connection, so I unhooked the negative side, then the positive side and they are hanging under the cart at the moment. Just want to be sure I'm not missing anything. The last thing my wife wants to hear is I need to spend another $1500 on a motor, controller, solenoid, cables, OBC, and all the other stuff I fried when the welder came out.

retiredtech 07-20-2020 07:32 PM

whenever I weld on a car I unhook the batteries to protect the computers. if you have the body off already and are going to weld a bunch it wouldn't hurt to take more off but probably not necessary.