Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   2022 Lithium Yamaha - Noise in Transmission (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=183925)

IdleUp 04-29-2022 01:11 PM

2022 Lithium Yamaha - Noise in Transmission

3 Attachment(s)
Hello Guys,

I Just bought a new 2022 Yamaha Lithium cart and regretfully it makes a terrible noise when letting off the throttle as it slows down. When accelerating or decelerating on a level road its quiet, however if you coast down any grade it sounds like a rod knock in the transmission.

My dealer is stumped and I called Yamaha and just get a run around. Word is the new Lithium models are supposed to be totally re-designed. I can't believe Yamaha would release a product in this condition. This is totally unacceptable I can buy almost two nice China carts which run perfect for what I spent on this one cart.

I need to confirm if the noise is the same in other lithium model carts. If anyone has a lithium model please let me know if your cart has this same problem.

Thanks in Advance!

Mike

doug527 04-29-2022 04:15 PM

Re: 2022 Lithium Yamaha - Noise in Transmission

So is this a joke? That looks like the gas motor, quietech EFI...Also, it's not true that the Lithium models are totally redesigned. Only difference in the electric models is the battery type, controller the same, motor the same, tranny the same... Yea, solenoids, relays, small component may be different but the cart is the same...If I paid 11k, which is what I did for my Drive2 with AGM batteries and cart was acting up, dealer would be taking it back.

doug527 04-29-2022 05:55 PM

ok couldn't tell on phone but now I see its electric, but again, only differences is the type of battery between lithium and lead batteries

IdleUp 04-29-2022 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug527 (Post 1886942)
So is this a joke? That looks like the gas motor, quietech EFI...Also, it's not true that the Lithium models are totally redesigned. Only difference in the electric models is the battery type, controller the same, motor the same, tranny the same... Yea, solenoids, relays, small component may be different but the cart is the same...If I paid 11k, which is what I did for my Drive2 with AGM batteries and cart was acting up, dealer would be taking it back.

Thanks for the reply - however your 100% incorrect, the electric motor, controller and gearing is totally different. In addition there is no comparison to a standard 48 volt battery electric, the 51 volt lithium offers twice the amperage and has twice the torque resulting in nearly twice the range. Unlike flooded batteries where you can only discharge to 50-60% with lithium you can discharge all the way down to 10 - 0 % offering nearly twice the range. In addition, lithium 70% lighter than wet flooded batteries so it offers more performance and range. Love the lithium concept just not happy with the noise but I'll take care of it if I have to do it myself.

Stay Safe - Mike

Volt_Ampere 04-29-2022 08:21 PM

I would press the issue and make them fix it. That suspension and rear end is completely different than the earlier models that I have. That is the first cart I have seen with independent rear suspension with CV axles.

IdleUp 04-29-2022 09:21 PM

Volt - Thanks for the reply there is a thread on another forum where a guy with an older cart has the same problem as I do and three other guys jumped in and said there cart did also. He added a rubber bushing in the transmission shaft wheich cured the problem. I'll see if I can find it again.

As I mentioned on a flat road its perfectly quiet but any time there is some down grade where the cart is increasing the motor speed it starts clanking.Wish I could find a golf course or owner with another lithium cart , I'm not eager to send it back and have some guy tear apart a factory built transmission if they are all the same.

Stay Safe - Mike

Volt_Ampere 04-29-2022 09:28 PM

I hope you get it sorted. It looks like Yamaha has done a bunch of changes over the past few years. My newest YDRE is a 2012 so I have no experience with the newer design. Mine are heavily modified with Lithium batteries, aftermarket motor and controller but stock suspension.

ojo 04-30-2022 05:04 AM

Really nice looking drivetrain, but sorry, you'll try to fix this unacceptable issue by yourself :shock: If it's me, back to the dealer, shortest way!

doug527 04-30-2022 12:38 PM

Your controller is different because of the lithium battery, but why would they change the transmission? Im looking at specs on my six 8 volt Trojan T-875 AGM batteries and it shows they have more amperage than the lithium so amperage shouldn't be the reason but I'm not educated on the matter. I wanted the Li battery but wasn't available 12/21 at time of purchase. I'm wanting to drop in a Navitas 450 which as you know would send more amps to motor for more rpm and more speed and can not find any post on someone who has...You didn't say the speed of your cart but imagine it is 19mph as is mine . Im hoping with a new controller I would get 23, 24mph as I ride with others in our neighborhood to grab a cold beer and those guys are doing 25 and 30 in their Icon and Evolution..

One good thing on Yamaha is their warranty...You should have no problem getting your cart fixed...Good luck, let us know

Volt_Ampere 04-30-2022 12:47 PM

I doubt that the suspension changes have much to do with going with Lithium batteries. Maybe they changed the shocks to deal with the lighter weight. Yamaha carts have really dropped in popularity here where I live in Arizona. Ten years ago, Yamaha dominated but now it's EzGo followed by ClubCar and Yamaha is a distant third.