Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help with clutch basics? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=77690)

85.G3 03-25-2013 08:07 AM

Help with clutch basics?

I have a 1986 Yamaha G3 that was sitting for? Got the engine running good now but on steep hills it bogs down and heats up. I don't know anything about these clutches but shouldn't the RPM's stay up and the speed drop? The clutch also seems to be on the loud side compared to engine noise. I have searched these threads and found comments about spring kits and worn belts. Is there a link to basic clutch operation, problems, repairs, upgrades ... that I am missing.
Thanks Dan

abieex 03-25-2013 08:32 AM

Re: Help with clutch basics?

First of all, Welcome Dan! Do you have the service and repair manual for your cart? If not get to ebay and you can probably download one for around
$10-$15.That will tell you a lot. Even though the engine seems to run well at least check compression etc. get the back of the cart off the ground, start it and watch the clutches work and you have a starting point. I always send people with clutch problems to Don at Plowmans' Carts, he is a site sponser and he's always glad to answer questions.

85.G3 03-25-2013 08:45 AM

Abi ..... I ordered a Service Manual yesterday on CD for $11.00 delivered on Ebay that was posted here (thanks BGW). When I was working on the engine I had the cart on blocks and watched the clutch work and it seemed fine but loud. I will get a compression tester and check that too. When starting off from a stop it seems to clutch correctly and accelerates well but as I go up steep hills the speed and RPM's drop like the clutch is locked up. I have had many 2 strokes over the years but am new to these clutches. Thanks for the response.

DOOmsman 03-25-2013 09:18 AM

85, Failure to back shift could be a weak or broken spring, worn out slider shoes, or a dry and binding movable sheave in the secondary.

85.G3 03-25-2013 09:28 AM

DOO...... Is there a re-build kit or thread that covers all these issues? My property has a lot of hills, should I be looking at different springs or weights from stock? Thanks

LURCH 03-25-2013 10:01 AM

You can get parts and pieces but before you buy anything I have and would call Don @ Plowmans for advice and pricing. He is the best and very reasonable!!!!!!

abieex 03-25-2013 10:14 AM

Totally agree, I got the performance kit which includes sheaves, spring, belt, carb jets and improved muffler and the clutch is balanced (secondary). I ordered new weights and pins for the primary and rebuilt it myself. Take a little time to read up on this stuff, listen to the experienced guys on here and talk to the pros like Don. Don won't sell you something you don't need. Doomsman and others are very knowledgeable.

85.G3 03-25-2013 10:21 AM

Thanks to all. I will take a close look today for broken springs or other obvious issues. I should have the manual in a few days and will call Don after I have a little better knowledge.

85.G3 03-25-2013 01:22 PM

Put it up on blocks and ran the throttle up and down and the clutches seemed to be working normal. Put some lube on the secondary shaft and ran some more. Then up a good hill, noticed that when I start at low speed at the base and accelerating up the RPM's climbed and it ran great, nice and clean with no smoke or heating. The issue before was approaching the hill at WOT and then it would bog as it lost mo. Sec spring was not broke but I could compress it slightly with my thumb, could be the 27 year old original for all I know? The belt is 1 3/16" wide (stamped #1305) and sets about 1/8" below the top of secondary sheave at stop. I see no weights so they must be in the drum on the primary? Plan to read the manual when it arrives and then :dontknow:call Don. Thanks

abieex 03-25-2013 01:54 PM

The weights are in the primary, your correct. What color spring is in the secondary?