Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OLD BLUE,85 marathon re-construction (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=71214)

LiL' rascal 10-11-2012 11:52 PM

Re: OLD BLUE,85 marathon re-construction

I like it. Your back blocks look a lot cleaner than mine:mrgreen:

Are you going to try the Monroe shocks?

sassycat 10-12-2012 07:45 AM

def gonna go with the shock part numbers brew mentioned on the first page..hopefully there all correct ,, i will cross them with part numbers in the monroe thread to be safe..tires and wheels may be a lil while tho but now time for body sanding and painting,,and the underneath of the frame needs some wire brush and sanding attention and thick coat of rusty metal primer before painting:thumbup:
going fishing now for a few hrs:mrgreen: first day of sweet cooool weather in fl in a good while..gotta take advantage of it while its here!! up the withalacoochie river i go8)

BrewCityMusic 10-12-2012 09:28 AM

Check my thread for the info on ordering those shocks, Amigo - if You cross-reference to NAPA they're going to gouge you about an extra $30+tax - same with most of the "other" big parts guys like Advance, etc

sassycat 10-12-2012 10:04 AM

thanks bcm..that saved me 28 bucks,,beers,,i mean,cheers to ya brother:thumbup:
got the rear welded stuff painted gloss blk so its easyer to keep some what clean..if i was smart i would have pressure washed the cart before getting it in my shop:thumbdown:
now i will finish it in the shop,paint body,then take to car wash and bring back to :thumbdown:clean sand and paint the underneath and frame..jeez!

if 23,s will fit with a 5 and a 1/4 inch lift someone tell me asap please??

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...tedcart002.jpg

BrewCityMusic 10-12-2012 10:55 AM

that's a "sticky wicket" of a question, because all 23's are not created equally. The general consensus is 22's on a 4" lift, so in theory YES, 23's should be OK on a 5 - but for example, the Chen Shin Lumberjacks on my 1988 are 22x11-8's, however with 8lbs of air they actually stand just a hair over 23" tall ... The 22x11's I have on my latest project (Deestone 900 series) are just at 22.25" with 8lbs, see where I'm going with this? Technically, if a 23 WAS exactly 23" high when filled, then yep, no prob based on my 1988 with a 5" lift. if they're 23.75 or even 24, then problems arise.

Best to see if you can actually get your hands and a tape measure on the tires You are considering - but I'm afraid we all know how THAT theory is gonna work ...

sassycat 10-12-2012 12:24 PM

thanks again,,id better stick with 22,s to be safe :thumbup:

1fast67 10-12-2012 12:59 PM

nice work on the lift!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

sassycat 10-12-2012 09:47 PM

thanks to every ones help:thumbup:

1fast67 10-12-2012 09:55 PM

Did you level out the rear swing arm when you lifted it?

sassycat 10-12-2012 10:00 PM

no,everyone said it was fine not to..i can no problem, but is it really needed or did i miss something?

BrewCityMusic 10-12-2012 10:21 PM

I've seen it done, but rarely - I've never done it on my carts (and again, I've seen about 40 carts that were lifted without leveling and they were all fine) .... The drawback is you'll likely smunch up the air intake on a Marathon but a little creative tweaking of the air cleaner and hose position will minimize that .. Everything else can handle the angle no trouble with a 2-stroke

1fast67 10-12-2012 10:21 PM

No you didnt miss anything. Mine is at more of an angle than yours thats why i asked.

1fast67 10-12-2012 10:35 PM

Yeah i didnt level mine either ut my rear springs were at a different angle than the lift block.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/13/by4u8a2a.jpg

sassycat 10-12-2012 10:50 PM

ok i see,,my motor looks like its at a extreme angle but the swing arm looks rather fine from the side imo..mine may look funny since the tube going inside the spring is 3 inches long and should have been 2 inches..but i left the upper bump stop extention from the factory for now,and it will compress down inside of it if needed,,for now lol,,till i take it apart there again it will live,haha..will have more down travel than stock but will never use it im sure.

1fast67 10-12-2012 10:55 PM

Heres another pic.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/13/ryja2e5u.jpg

BrewCityMusic 10-12-2012 11:36 PM

AAAAAAAARGGGGHHHHH - Shock Extenders, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, AIIIEEEEEEEEEE ....

(Just Kidding, Amigo)

1fast67 10-12-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic (Post 789154)
AAAAAAAARGGGGHHHHH - Shock Extenders, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, AIIIEEEEEEEEEE ....

(Just Kidding, Amigo)

Monroes are going on it soon

sassycat 10-13-2012 09:01 AM

i assumed the shock extenders were welded at the bottom to the s.arm?
if not they cant work that good..
i checked many places and rockauto.com is def the cheapest place to buy all 4 shocks..:thumbup:

sassycat 10-13-2012 09:27 AM

more questions? will this 88 and up front cowl light kit fit my 85?
it sure looks the same?

https://www.discountcartpartsstore.c...arts/29825.htm

also need best prices on motor mounts,,i assume all 3 are the same? thanks for the help fellas!!

BrewCityMusic 10-13-2012 10:08 AM

Man, I feel like the harbinger of doom lately with the answers, LOL ... As to the cowl, not really. I mean, I imagine it *could* be done (anything can) but the inside of the 2 cowls are totally different on pre-88's and 88-93, the old-style doesn't have the inner supports or mounting points for the plastic cowl cap and what's worse is that even the ones that DO (the 88-93's) don't really mount it that securely without some creative reinforcing (that's why almost every 88-93 you;ll see either has a newer cowl cap or a busted old one, it was a terrible design IMHO to begin with)

My 1988 is about 3 years old in MY world and I'm on cap #3, it's been busted too since this spring and I refuse to by a new one AGAIN so I just shored it up inside with some brackets.

NOW ... Speaking of cowls, why don't you look around for a TXT cowl with the headlights? My like-new cowl without them cost me a whopping $40 and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of them out there with a little research or some phone calls to cart shops in your area - it's easier to fab the TXT cowl onto your cart than I believe it would be to somehow mount the 88-93 cowl cap, just a thought ...

Motor mounts should run you about $11.50 (that's about the best price I've found so far) - here's the link, 377 sold so far so it *must* be a pretty good deal, hahaha

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-Cart-Mo...item3a5a278c0e

Yes all 3 are the same, and do yourself a favor and borrow a right-handed drill before you attack them - it'll save you a TON of frustration and/or the need to beg some assistance from a buddy or worse yet, your other half (I don't know about yours, but MINE loves carts, hates working on them)

And the shock extenders are just 2 flat pieces of 3/16" flat stock that bolt through the bottom shock bushing and then to the old shock mount *shiver*

1fast67 10-13-2012 10:41 AM

My cart with the shock extenders rides like a brick. I didnt know any better till i found this site. As far as the motor mounts go thats a good price. My cart has 4 motor mounts so you might double check yours.

sassycat 10-13-2012 03:26 PM

thanks bcm:thumbup: you just have such good answers i cant help myself:mrgreen:
you have really saved me some serious back pain so treat yourself to one helluva buzz asap,,on me lol.. when i start gett a lil lit in a few hrs i will propose a toast for you for all the help for sure :mrgreen:

i been lookin at txt truck looking front cowls all day,,i was wondering if i could make one work,,and see,you answered it before i could ask,,saved me again..

1fast67 you prob are correct on the 4 mounts..i say 3 cause thats all i see,,one on the front of the swing arm still rivited down,and one on each side of the s.arm that has nothing left,,no rivits either..so from you saying 4 there must be one underneath the motor huh??

in my area all the txt front cowls i see they are high dollar,,online there even above 300 bucks so i will call around next week to maybe find one..i kinda like the look of them too..

1fast67 10-13-2012 03:34 PM

Yeah ones hidden under there. I pulled my motor out to change mine. I actually drilled all the rivets out with my ryobi cordless drill.

sassycat 10-13-2012 03:39 PM

thanks..do all the mounts have to be riveted back down or do they bolt back down?

also,,i thought these ols marathons were wider than the newer txt,s

1fast67 10-13-2012 03:50 PM

I personally would rivet them back in. You could put bolts in but these two strokes rattle and vibrate so much that you might lose a few bolts. Thats just my opinion.

sassycat 10-13-2012 04:04 PM

rivets it is:thumbup: guess im front cowl confused? i google txt cowl and its the one that looks like a truck with headlights on the work vehicles?
when i google st cowl it shows the same pics?
i dont want the normal ezgo cowl,,i like the truck looking ones better but there around 350 bucks,,yikes

1fast67 10-13-2012 04:06 PM

Try st sport.

sassycat 10-13-2012 07:23 PM

ok i did,,same thing comes up? are they all the same as st sport,txt and the other one come up the same pics online..

1fast67 10-13-2012 07:35 PM

Are the ones you were trying to look up maybe a worhorse?

1fast67 10-13-2012 07:36 PM

Sorry a workhorse.

sassycat 10-13-2012 08:04 PM

thats it,,sorry brother.. the work horse looks like the truck kinda,,right..the txt is the regular cowl like brew just put on his marathon..the regular cowl is cool but the work horse would be sweeter imo..my front cowl is like 40 1/2 inches wide,,need to have someone measure there work horse i guess:thumbup:

1fast67 10-13-2012 08:14 PM

Third times a charm! Glad i could help. I think the txt cowl looks good on a marathon. You will most likely have to fab up something to go down the sides with the workhorse coel as they are flat with no sides going down.

sassycat 10-13-2012 08:38 PM

i have no problem fabing stuff but them darn things are high dollar everywhere i look,..think i will just make it myself.
with money tight lately i will more than likely come up with some aluminum
all one piece new nose with brush gaurd,winch mount,headlight mounts wrapped around the front and bolt it to the 4 spots in upper front frame crossmember and the 2 on each side where the roof mounts..:iroc:
then again maybe steel will be used for the winch mount as to not tear my work apart in a bad situation someday..and the rest alum and polish it to match the diamond plate..hope to get some diamond plate this coming week also.

just ordered the motor mounts from the link bcm put up:thumbup: thanks again.

BrewCityMusic 10-13-2012 09:29 PM

the 2.5x2.5 angle aluminum diamondplate I used would be PERFECT to run up the sides of the floorboards/frame to meet the new cowl, just sayin, hahahahahaha

And at like $17 for a 4ft stick, it's thrifty too !!!!

TMorris320 10-13-2012 09:36 PM

I had to subscribe to this! In the last eight pages I've learned more about lifting the Marathons than I have in two weeks on the entire site.

sassycat 10-13-2012 09:56 PM

i have a buddy thats gonna give me enough d.plate for the cart i think,thankfully! i wish i could find a cowl for fair price in my area but there like gold around here for some reason..not any bone yards around here for parts either..

tmorris theres a lot of info here just have to word it different ways in the search bar..i even google questions and they lead me to threads on this site :thumbup:

BrewCityMusic 10-13-2012 10:42 PM

I *might* be able to squeeze the extra TXT cowl I have in a box and ship it - let me do some finnegellin on Monday, I have a few monster boxes from speaker cabinets, etc that might work (no promises but I'll try) - shipping shouldn't bee too bad, it's a big piece but weighs like 12lbs max

sassycat 10-14-2012 08:32 AM

you dont have to do that bcm,,i will get er done when i have the funds:thumbup: dang that almost rymes,hahathanks for your kindness tho for sure..you may need it someday and wih you had kept it lol...i been trying to sell a high end firearm i have to fund this build but with the economy like it is nobody is spending there money i guess..but like everything else its hard to get your money back from the toyz we build sometimes :mrgreen:

sassycat 10-16-2012 04:58 PM

well,,with the rust im finding behind some of the body panels im tempted to just remove the hole thing,and do the hole darn cart in non magnetic polished stainless,,for the just cause...and i can if i wanna dang it,,i hate rust:|
but the frame looks great..
maybe i will read up on putting a newer body on as it seems i read ya just have to lower the seat frame 1 inch.. now i will be thinkin all night.thanks bgw for the pain and suffering from reading:thumbup:

1fast67 10-16-2012 08:08 PM

Hey sassy welcome to the insanity:thumbup: