Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OLD BLUE,85 marathon re-construction (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=71214)

sassycat 10-16-2012 08:47 PM

Re: OLD BLUE,85 marathon re-construction

you no thats right..when i see stuff i think about the rock crawlin and being stupid days and may just build something wild someday..when i hit the lotto:mrgreen:

CRK 10-18-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassycat (Post 790900)
you no thats right..when i see stuff i think about the rock crawlin and being stupid days and may just build something wild someday..when i hit the lotto:mrgreen:

Hey sassycat, ever heard of pirate4x4.com? = rock crawling period! Been a member there for a good long while, back when I had a Toyota 4x4

sassycat 10-18-2012 05:21 PM

im a member there but never posted ..been a jeepforum member for yrs tho,but sold the jeep i built when i couldnt refuse the high offer..need to build another someday tho,,its addictive as heck:mrgreen:

1fast67 10-20-2012 04:01 PM

Any more progress on your cart?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

sassycat 10-20-2012 06:31 PM

ive done a couple test samples with the rustoleum cobalt blue metalic,and it is shiny as heck when applied,but seems to be a satin shine when dried..
ive mixed paint and painted farm and entrace gates and stuff ive welded all my life but def not a painter,,and it shows lol..

so,,after i paint it,can i just use good clear coat to go on after for the shine i want?
does it have to match the base of whats in the paint or ?
never got into it like painting a car..but i can do some sweet clear coat on guns so if the cart can turm out like that i would be happy..
its gonna get scratched cause that will be the 99 percent use..forest trails in all hrs of the night lol..lots of wodded land and trails where i live to see deer turkey and wil hog galore..
got caught pouchen a few yrs back,,the law was excited till they seen i only had a camera and a smal carry pistol,,,:mrgreen: i was thankfull..id rather just take some pics anyhow now a days..
cart is on the ground with stock wheels,may be a couple weeks before i get shocks,,then tires and rims ,,gonna start the diamond plate soon hopefully

1fast67 10-20-2012 06:36 PM

Clear coat is what it is. The more coats you put on the more shine it will have.

sassycat 10-20-2012 07:05 PM

but im fairly sure theres different clear coat paint that wont mix with every kinda paint...the paint is enamel im sure,,so will clear laquer spray paint work?
i use it on wood and its bad azz.

1fast67 10-20-2012 07:18 PM

I doubt it will stick to metal then. Go get some clear that they have for tractors. Its cheap and you wont be bummed when its all scratched up. I used satin blaxk tractor paint with no clear and i like it.

sassycat 10-20-2012 07:39 PM

i use santin blk on a lot of things,,good stuff,but just want that car shine kinda if i can..practice makes perfect tho :thumbup:

BrewCityMusic 10-20-2012 08:08 PM

Implement (tractor) paint is da BOMB - goes on easily and glossy without dry spots, won't run easily unless you really get in too much of a hurry, generally doesn't need a clear coat, touches up easily, and is very good at sticking to everything as well as resisting scratches so I second that opinion !!!

1fast67 10-20-2012 08:14 PM

My satin black has a sheen to it. I didnt want a shine on mine. I like that "rat rod" look.

tradermark 10-20-2012 08:25 PM

I just wanted to say "Thank you" to all the guys who shared their knowledge and experience in this thread. I may not post al lot but I DO read a lot. Thanks to the information I gleaned from this one post I was able to fab up my lift kit over the last few days and in about 6 hrs today I went from a plain old ordinary GXT804 to a great looking 804 with 5" of lift and 20-8-8 tires. And this was my first lift job.

Once again, thanks to everyone. This site is GREAT!

Mark

1fast67 10-20-2012 08:47 PM

Glad we could help!:thumbup: now we need pics of your cart. Or better yet you could start a new thread on your lift.

tradermark 10-20-2012 08:54 PM

I'm gonna do just that as soon as I can get to a real computer instead of this smart(er than I am) phone.

sassycat 10-20-2012 11:21 PM

good point:thumbup: may go with a fl gator kinda theme i why i wanted a metalic blue to be different..i will see what happens when the time comes..
havin a good weekend,,just got a new xd357sig w/8 mags and 400 rnds of high dolllar ammo:mrgreen:

sassycat 10-21-2012 09:25 PM

just picked up a hyundai in excellent cond,nic windsheild,roof floor tires wheels,front end is sharp kinda fordish with headlights..fold down rear seat etc etc..the frame is beefy in front and very clean,,but its electric:thumbdown:
its fast,runs great new batterys,,i was gonna cut it up and modify the look,weld in s.arm etc etc..but i think my budy wants it more than me:mrgreen:
i feel the frame is superior to my 85 ezgo,but figure i shouldnt waste a perfectly good cart or all the work i would end up doing..back to to old one that is not old blue yet:thumbup:

1fast67 10-21-2012 09:29 PM

Pics of the hyundai?

sassycat 10-21-2012 09:33 PM

sorry,dark out and late:thumbup:

BrewCityMusic 10-22-2012 09:02 AM

*mutters "Hyundai" under his breath, walks away shaking head*

sassycat 10-22-2012 09:20 AM

its actuall way nicer than the one o have,but i can make few fast bucks on this easy..hate to tear it up for building mine,,but ya never no:mrgreen: i will get some pics

1fast67 10-22-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic (Post 793210)
*mutters "Hyundai" under his breath, walks away shaking head*

Thats funny!

sassycat 10-22-2012 10:16 AM

sure makes a nicer lookin cart than the old 2 stroke,,woud be easy nto weld the swing arm onto the hyundai:mrgreen:

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper013.jpg

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper014.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper015.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper016.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper009.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper018.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper020.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper015.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper017.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...chopper026.jpg

sassycat 10-22-2012 10:19 AM

the floor is straight and solid,no rust to really mention,,love the look of them lifted that i see on here with nice wheels and big tires too..guess i need to decide..the frame just looks almost new compared to old blue..i should be able to get 12-1500 where i live,,maybe:thumbup:

sassycat 10-22-2012 04:33 PM

well,ive got someone gonna look at this cart today,and may trade of for another marathon 2 stroke with no rust and good everything im told..it has the longer sloped nose w/out plastic like 1fast67 iirc what yr was the all metal sloped nose carts?
if not,this thing rides so nice i may cut it up,and while working on it for a big block i will still have the beater to run around in and tinker on..addictions:lhmo:

1fast67 10-22-2012 06:57 PM

Another cart like mine?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/23/y6enyhav.jpg

sassycat 10-22-2012 07:14 PM

just like it,,i guess its a no go tho..im seriously considering lifting this hyundai and keep using it electric till it dies,then big block it..i dont understand there bad rap..lots of dash storage and a dash i can make diamond plate doors for,the body is solid for plastic..you can sit on the rear fenders and they dont budge as the frame is under there for the fenders..rides like a dream too.
so,,i will be looking into raising the hole front suspention as is,,maybe.
thinking a g whatever 7 inch lift will work also:thumbup:

1fast67 10-22-2012 07:53 PM

It actually looks really clean and has a rear seat to boot. A 24 horse v-twin in that would be something nobody would expect.

sassycat 10-23-2012 02:06 PM

i was thinkin the same,,the body style dont look bad to me:mrgreen:
trying to find all the info i can on lifting it myself and what coil overs to use..prob go with like 8 inch lift at the least,trim rear fender wells maybe,and fit 27,s is what id like to do:mrgreen:
guess i should strat another thread,but it will be a long drawn out thread for sure..income tax may be the big block mulla to play with:thumbup:

BrewCityMusic 10-23-2012 07:51 PM

In all seriousness, first, the elec and gas rear ends are different, so double the investment before you start. THEN - realize you could have sold the Hyundai as-is and made enough to buy a nice TXT which has BOLT-ON big-block stuff all over the place, cheaper lift kits that are already engineered correctly, etc ....

I was only half kidding with the crack I made, I have a friend who got himself sideways in a Hyundai cart and it ended up being, well - a Hyundai cart. It's your money, but for resale and ease/cost issues, I'd tear my heart away from it FAST, just my two cents.

Whatever You decide though, I'm sure it'll be a fun project - hey, it's a CART, right?

sassycat 10-24-2012 12:36 AM

when you say txt is that textron exgo you mean,,like a 94 and up? i had a new ezgo before,my first cart ,had a stock 4 stroke that seemed to get 90mpg as it never needed gas..i lifted it 6 inches with 22 inch tires and have missed it ever since..
so,your saying i may as well maybe turn both carts and maybe a few other things and get me a newer ezgo 4 stroke,with reverse,and that cart has all the big block add ons and the rear end will still work??
hey,,i dont mind being kicked in the butt when need be..i hate wasteing mulla:mrgreen:

i was gonna lift the hyundai and leave it electric for a good hile ,,while i collected parts..need to decide i guess..hmm

BrewCityMusic 10-24-2012 12:45 AM

Just to reiterate, Amigo - LOSE the Hyundai, for sanity and financial return's sake. Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

TXT is anything post-Marathon up to about 2004-6 ... The midyear carts are cheap (gassers up here go about $800-1k if you get into a fleet buyout, $1200-1500 used on the street) and are the perfect platform to make a few bucks, as the clean crazy ones still actually draw that $22-2300 crowd regularly)

Stick w Blue, If you want my opinion - a running cart is worth $1k if it looks and runs right no matter WHAT year it is. See if it's REALLY a toy you'll use enough to justify a larger investment in money, time, etc and go from there. If you get it together for the right investment timewise and save a few bucks,you can use them to build something that fits what you'll really USE and keep. The "sparky Hyundai" I will still look at as a cart that snuck up on You with "Blinders" ..... Just a friendly opinion :)

sassycat 10-24-2012 12:58 AM

thanks brew:thumbup: i no what i want,,i want the first 2000 model i think ezgo i built before,i will not sell or trade the next one either.
old blue gets driven w/out shocks lol,,i no,im bad,but its a fun cart..only easy as i dont wanna break it..it rides better lifted than before imo!
just got some diamond plate to cover the bottom edges of rust and other areas and will be painting it ,,maybe this week..sometimes we all need a push:mrgreen:

and i thank ya for it,,the hyundai i dont feel i have enough in it to matter,if it dont sell for a grand its worth keeping for my mom inlaw to use..

old blue is back on like donkey kong,haha"duck dynasty" they crack me up,,the 55mph speed limit just a suug jestain,haha ,si

sassycat 10-24-2012 05:26 PM

old blue is gettin some shoes:lhmo: took your advice,thanks,,sold the hyundai in the first 30 min of the add i ran,,guy drove 2 hrs to get it..pofited 400 bucks:thumbup:
ordered the shocks from rockauto for 74 bucks shipped:thumbup:
ordered the wheels from rockytopcarts as they always treated me right.
2-11-10 blk steelies with sahara classics,center chrome center caps and lugs for 395 bucks shipped:thumbup:great price imo.
also ordered some hercule 6 spoke chrome caps incase i feel a lil classy sometime,haha

should have wheels fri:thumbup:

sassycat 10-24-2012 08:13 PM

wow,wheels shipped already,,i ordered from rock top cart,but my e mail reciept says buggies unlimited? i tryed to avoid them and then it ends up there the same i suppose..and the warehouse is 100 mi or less away from me in fl..small world..

1fast67 10-24-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassycat (Post 794405)
wow,wheels shipped already,,i ordered from rock top cart,but my e mail reciept says buggies unlimited? i tryed to avoid them and then it ends up there the same i suppose..and the warehouse is 100 mi or less away from me in fl..small world..

Buggies unlimited owns them along with jakes,everything carts and who knows what else.

sassycat 10-25-2012 08:04 AM

well i guss thats how to make sure you get the sales..i didnt like the prices else where and searched for hrs to find that "right" price i thought..
see what i get for thinking:thumbup:

sassycat 10-25-2012 01:38 PM

glad i checked the rear end today,,didnt have but a few teaspoons in it:oops:
it loks to have had a tiny leak forever so thats prob why,,filled it with vavoline regular 80.90 i think,,gear oil,,gotta be better than nothing but not sure what its supposed to have as of now..
also was lookin at the motor mounts and they look good except they have no rivets at all in them,,jeez..guess they use alum rivets maybe?
i have about every rivet known to man so i feel steel one should go back in,,sound right8)

1fast67 10-25-2012 03:18 PM

Thats what i used on my motor mounts which by the way all 4 are shot already and i put thwm in last december so im putting 1/4-20's back in with lock washers and crimp nuts.

sassycat 10-25-2012 04:14 PM

good idea,,looking at mine,it looks like the darn motor just sits there and i could lift if off except for the rivets holdin them in..
the mm plate is so thin that it shouldnt even exist imo..like less than a 1/16th thick and flimsy..even my new mounts..
so the hole motor mount frame just sits there basically? i could litterally pick it right up with new mounts and bend the crap out of the new mounts if i wanted to,even after being riveted..they need a thicker plate in them mounts imo8)

sassycat 10-26-2012 03:53 PM

new motor mounts installed,,boy they were shot much worse than i thought..
wheels and tires on and as we all no,,totally changed the cart and look sweet to boot..will try to get pics tomorrow..
maybe the first of the week when we get a 40 degree cold spell i will prep it and get ready for paint afterwards..

hope none of you guys live up east where the sghtf next week! if so please get a lil prepared as when your not is when you will need it most..hope everyone gets out of it ok with minimal damage..i wish it were coming here myself,,i frickin love stormy weather,always have..but dont want anyone gettin hurt form sure:thumbup:

oh yeah,does the front spindles have bushings or ? need to fix the front as it has a lil wear,and dont wanna waste my tires faster than normal?
nd the motor mounts were the easyest mounts ive ever done..and i thought chevys were easy:thumbup: have a good weekend fella,s