Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1989 gas ezgo gets hot dont want to move (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=51949)

bigtony55 07-27-2011 12:16 AM

1989 gas ezgo gets hot dont want to move

I have a 89 ezgo drove it all around our camping area for about 25-30 minutes went up big hill started acting funny went back down hill and at the bottom stopped moving motor was running fine motor clutch was working fine back clutch wouldnt engage had to get towed back to campsite left it there itsat for 2 days fired it up stepped on the as and cart started moving not like it did before but it did under its on power is the back clutch bad? could the spring be work out and when it got hot got to weak??

ScooterMcTavish 07-27-2011 12:23 PM

Re: 1989 gas ezgo gets hot dont want to move

Hey Big Tony,

When you say (though a bit of punctuation might help here....) after coming down the hill, the motor was running fine, but the back clutch wouldn't engage? If so:
- Was the motor clutch closing and grabbing the belt?
- Was the motor clutch closing and NOT grabbing the belt?
- Was the belt spinning/smoking/turning?
- Was there any visible damage to the belt?
- Was the cart heavily loaded when you went up the hill?

It almost sounds to be like drive belt damage, and you could have hypothetically shaved an already thin belt down by going up the hill, especially as you mentioned it is still not running right.

bigtony55 07-27-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish (Post 599128)
Hey Big Tony,

When you say (though a bit of punctuation might help here....) after coming down the hill, the motor was running fine, but the back clutch wouldn't engage? If so:
- Was the motor clutch closing and grabbing the belt?
- Was the motor clutch closing and NOT grabbing the belt?
- Was the belt spinning/smoking/turning?
- Was there any visible damage to the belt?
- Was the cart heavily loaded when you went up the hill?

It almost sounds to be like drive belt damage, and you could have hypothetically shaved an already thin belt down by going up the hill, especially as you mentioned it is still not running right.

Hi sorry i tend to ramble on LOL
Yes motor clutch was spinning the belt
The back clutch just wanst moving its like the engine didne have enough power to make the cart move
My buddy took a look and seems to think my carb is shot because of the play in the shaft is quite bad
I tried the cart now and it moved but not very well so i removed the drive belt and reved up the motor as much as i could and the cart wouldnt move and it seemed to have lil throttle response
which leads me to think he was right about the carb

bigtony55 08-02-2011 08:44 PM

Ok I put new carb on runs better but still barely wants to move also put in new drive belt could my exhaust be plugged even though there is smoke coming out also could it be the valve plate on the intake side

ScooterMcTavish 08-03-2011 02:28 PM

It doesn't hurt to bbq the muffler, but generally it will cause a bog-down condition.

If there is an issue with the clutches, we'll have to mait for someone else to weigh in here, as clutches are not my specialty.