Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Power loss (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=26144)

wfitzner 11-18-2009 10:22 AM

Power loss

Recently my 1994 gas FE290 Club Car has slowed down especially on hills with 2 people onboard. I changed the spark plug and the 2 fuel filters. I also took out my air cleaner and made sure it was sealed tight. I have replaced the muffler with correct Club Car part. What else should I be looking at?

ckiguy 11-18-2009 04:47 PM

Re: Power loss

does it fight not like getting fuel, does the engine speed stay constant, or loose rpm, how is your belts? are they worn, and stretched, are they loose on your clutch? the fatser the motor turns, the tighter the belt. that would be were i would look the first if mech, power is ok. and im assumeing theres not 2 300 lb people on board.

wfitzner 11-18-2009 05:40 PM

It could be the belts because the engine runs strong in neutral. What do I look for on the belts? What would indicate that they're worn? I would guess that both people together weigh 350 lbs.

crash12888 11-18-2009 09:57 PM

When in neutral and not running, is the belt at the top of the driven (back) clutch?
If not look in the middle of the two halves and see if they are touching, if they are, you need a new belt.
If they are not touching you need to clean and grease the rear clutch or probably service both font and rear.
Does the belt cycle up and down the length of the two clutches when you rev it up?

wfitzner 11-18-2009 10:32 PM

I'm not quite sure I know what you mean but I can send some pictures tomorrow.

crash12888 11-18-2009 11:33 PM

Ok, when motor is stopped does the belt sit at the very top or outside rim of the back clutch?

Can you measure and let us know how wide the belt is?

when in neutral, and you start the engine and rev it up, does the back clutch open and the front clutch close fully?

wfitzner 11-26-2009 08:24 PM

I lengthened the accelerator rod and it increased the speed quite noticeably. Such a little adjustment made quite a difference.

ckiguy 11-26-2009 08:31 PM

watch them rpms! an over speed is a killer on the valves. ivebeen told they float at 4k rpm, get you a tach to be sure that was the issue, and yur not overspeeding.

wfitzner 11-26-2009 09:00 PM

When going down hill I believe it revs to high and the rev limiter cuts it off. It usually backfires. Does this sound like it's going to cause problems? Where can I get a good tach? I'm trying not to over rev by letting up on the gas pedal when going down hill.