Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Tomberlin (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Replacement batteries (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=96897)

Camilla 07-25-2014 09:31 PM

Replacement batteries

I've just recently purchased a 2010 Tomberlin that has 96 miles on it. It sat unused for a couple of years and looks like new. Although the batteries look like new they are the originals.

Anyway I was hoping they were still good and would last a bit but today I drove about a mile and they died. Can I just assume I need to purchase new batteries or should I be checking something else. I live in rural KY and don't have a place yet to take the cart to for repairs.

I also noticed that the speedometer added more like ten miles instead of about one mile. Is there something I need to know about that? Can I hope for a reset or something?

So, if I am to buy new batteries which ones do I look for? There seem to be a gazillion and I'm having a hard time sorting through.

Thanks for any replies.

meangreenmachine72 07-25-2014 09:56 PM

Re: Replacement batteries

Hello,
There is a very good chance that the batteries are shot. They need to be charged even during long storage times. Look for swelling on battery case and check acid level. If low add distillers water only to proper level make sure terminals are cleaned and try charging again.

meangreenmachine72 07-25-2014 09:59 PM

I would go with Trojan , interstate or us batteries.

Camilla 07-25-2014 10:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. The batteries did need water and I did that. I'm not sure just how low they were but I added plenty. The batteries don't have any swelling or anything and look brand new like the cart. I have the cart on charge now and will do another test run tomorrow. One curious thing - I didn't overfill the batteries but I keep seeing a little liquid leaking out on them?

On the battery recommendations - which one would you buy if you had a choice of any of those three? Also it seems there are different models of those batteries? I noticed the Trojans at least came in different numbers?

meangreenmachine72 07-26-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camilla (Post 1056407)
Thanks for the reply. The batteries did need water and I did that. I'm not sure just how low they were but I added plenty. The batteries don't have any swelling or anything and look brand new like the cart. I have the cart on charge now and will do another test run tomorrow. One curious thing - I didn't overfill the batteries but I keep seeing a little liquid leaking out on them?

On the battery recommendations - which one would you buy if you had a choice of any of those three? Also it seems there are different models of those batteries? I noticed the Trojans at least came in different numbers?

Where is liquid leaking from ? Is the cart a 36 or 48 volt ?

meangreenmachine72 07-26-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meangreenmachine72 (Post 1056496)

When you put charger on does the needle pin and then drop slowly over time ? If you own a hydrometer check each cell when charge is complete

Camilla 07-26-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meangreenmachine72 (Post 1056496)

It's a 48 (I think?) and the liquid is around the battery fill caps. It's just a little...

Camilla 07-26-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meangreenmachine72 (Post 1056497)
When you put charger on does the needle pin and then drop slowly over time ? If you own a hydrometer check each cell when charge is complete

What needle? I'm afraid you'll have to assume I know nothing of mechanics or electrical systems because I don't. I'm trying to read up and learn because I must now that my husband passed but I'm way, way, way behind everyone else here. I'm trying though!

There are four lights and no needle

Hecky50 07-26-2014 04:42 PM

How many batteries in the well? 6,or 4? How many holes on the top of a battery?

Camilla 07-26-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecky50 (Post 1056589)
How many batteries in the well? 6,or 4? How many holes on the top of a battery?

There are six batteries and four water holes on each battery.

I just got back from Autozone. I took one of the batteries to test and they basically told me it's fried. It was completely dead but the cart is still running. I suppose a few of the other batteries are holding a bit? In any case I guess I need to buy all new ones. :oops::cry:

Now I have to figure out what and where to buy... Sure could use some suggestions as I guess I don't really want to make a mistake....

Help pleaseeeeeee