Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Charging your cart using a generator (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=29896)

nealer 03-03-2010 11:36 PM

Charging your cart using a generator

Hey Y'all,
OK, I have a toyhauler and I would like to use the onboard genny to charge my cart. I hooked it up and it seems to work OK, other than my genny tends to surge a bit, so the amp gauge on the charger is going back and forth between 12 and 18 amps. Is this going to hurt anything? Also, does it hurt the batteries to charge them for a couple of hours? It really isn't practical to run the genny for 10 hours while camping, so i am hoping i can keep the batteries charged enough for a long weekend.

Paxdad 03-04-2010 08:10 AM

Re: Charging your cart using a generator

Are you using the air conditioner at the same time? If so I would turn it off because when it starts up it draws close to 30 amps.

dougmcp 03-04-2010 10:47 AM

It's always best to charge your batteries completely and charge after using the cart. All you risk by not completing the charge is more sulfation on the plates and shorter battery life.

Double O 03-04-2010 11:38 AM

I charge mine at the race track with a generator. A cart dealer told me not to plug the charger into the generator directly. Use a surge protector because a generator does not produce a consistent flow of power. I don't know if that is true because everything else works fine off a generator, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

nealer 03-04-2010 06:10 PM

Thanks for the replys everyone, i gather that if i only do this on occasion, i should be fine.

ncfenceguy 03-04-2010 07:44 PM

It's common at the race track because generator power is all that's available sometimes.
I think the older chargers deal with the generators better than the newer electronic versions.

gornoman 03-04-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double O (Post 372540)
I charge mine at the race track with a generator. A cart dealer told me not to plug the charger into the generator directly. Use a surge protector because a generator does not produce a consistent flow of power. I don't know if that is true because everything else works fine off a generator, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Well, they have a reputation for what we call "dirty" power, but that depends on the quality of the unit. If your onboard unit is by Onan, I wouldn't worry.

BTW, a surge protector is intended to protect equipment from voltage spikes above a preset threshhold, say 150v on a 110 circuit. They will not condition the power or make up for low voltage under heavy loads.

K9Kev 03-05-2010 01:53 AM

Glad someone asked this, I wondered myself.

Good info :thumbup:

huntinghawk 03-05-2010 06:34 AM

If your generator surges you either have a problem with the generator or have it plugged into something that kicks on & off like a refrigerator, air conditioner, well pump, etc.
If you really want to hear a generator surge hook up a welder to it.
Ross