Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Early 90's EZGO - Needs a Rebuild" (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=48215)

ScooterMcTavish 05-14-2011 07:48 PM

Re: "Early 90's EZGO - Needs a Rebuild"

What is it with a cart in the driveway......

Already pulled the head off, and lo and behold, no pinched rings, cylinder head looks clean (just some carbon), and the cylinder is smooth as a baby's bottom. All in all, looks pretty good.

However, it also looks like there was leakage from the side of the cylinder under the gasket, as there was a big glom of dried oil/dust mixture.

Battery is on the trickle charger right now - time to clean the gasket, reinstall, and see if I can get her to crank a bit. Might have a buddy who has a compression tester for me - if not, I'll grab one Monday.

doozerann 05-14-2011 08:00 PM

i would pull the bowl off carb, check for crud before cranking

ScooterMcTavish 05-14-2011 08:01 PM

Thanks for the tip.

OK, stupid question time - what is the spec battery for this cart. What was under the seat looked really sad....

doozerann 05-14-2011 08:23 PM

don't know if this will help but part # is 24775-G1 it's a 12 volt system, never thought about it just slaped a battery in her

doozerann 05-14-2011 08:31 PM

just type this number in google box it will take ya there 24775-G1. $115.00 ouch

madoc1 05-14-2011 08:53 PM

good to here on the look see with head off. a good check on the rings with out a tear down is to pull the exhaust and rotate the engine to see the rings. on the battery, it is just a plain old car batt. measure it and find one that fits the mount.

Quinn 05-14-2011 09:00 PM

You got a great deal on it! Now the addiction begins...

ScooterMcTavish 05-14-2011 09:15 PM

Well, so far, so good.

Head is back on, and battery is on the trickle charger all night. It looks kind of sad, but should be good enough for testing purposes. Thanks for the tip Madoc - I'll see if I can get a compression tester before working away at those rusted exhaust bolts.

One odd thing - the drive belt was taken off by the previous owner, and after putting it back on, it seems pretty slack - I can't see how this keeps enough tension to drive the wheels. Does someting tighten the belt when the motor is engaged, or is my belt poo poo?

Quinn 05-14-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish (Post 565953)

One odd thing - the drive belt was taken off by the previous owner, and after putting it back on, it seems pretty slack - I can't see how this keeps enough tension to drive the wheels. Does someting tighten the belt when the motor is engaged, or is my belt poo poo?

It should be somewhat slack so your generator/Starter can start the engine with little resistance. Once the gas engine starts it pulls the outer part of the clutch in to grab the belt.

ScooterMcTavish 05-14-2011 09:23 PM

Thanks Quinn,

Should be a fun day testing tomorrow.