Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Battery info (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152621)

Brown32 05-05-2020 02:36 PM

Re: Battery info

Outstanding. I found where you posted that somewhere else on here after I posted. I will give that a try.

JohnnieB 05-05-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown32 (Post 1714677)
Outstanding. I found where you posted that somewhere else on here after I posted. I will give that a try.

If several "equalization" charges doesn't re-balance the pack to within about 0.1V between individual batteries, hit the low ones with a 6V charger for a few hours.

coldair 05-10-2020 08:01 AM

do the chargers have to be programmed to the battiers you have in it when you switch brands or sizes? I had to do that with my scissor lift in order to get it to do the charging cycle correct

JohnnieB 05-10-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldair (Post 1716527)
do the chargers have to be programmed to the battiers you have in it when you switch brands or sizes? I had to do that with my scissor lift in order to get it to do the charging cycle correct

Some, but not all, of the more modern chargers can be tailored for the make/model of the batteries, while most of the legacy units can't. If you have a charger with user selectable charging profiles, than the correct or closest profile available for your batteries ought to be used.

Nottoosmart 06-01-2020 09:13 PM

Can you replace 6 6 volt batteries with 3 12 volt? It all adds up to 36 volts.

BobBoyce 06-02-2020 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nottoosmart (Post 1725366)

Capacity, the ability of the battery pack to move your cart along over time, is reduced. Capacity typically lowers as cell size is reduced to pack more cells into a higher voltage package.

JohnnieB 06-02-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nottoosmart (Post 1725366)

Yes, but the distance you can travel on a single charge is only about half as far and you will use up more than twice the percentage of storage capacity to travel a given distance, so the 12V battery's cradle to grave lifespan will be less than half of a 6V battery's lifespan.

If you only use the cart to dive a 1/4 to the mailbox and back each day, a 3x12V pack might be marginally acceptable, but if you use the cart for much more than that us a 6x6V pack.

m3mav 06-04-2020 04:24 AM

Please let me know if I'm in the right place, new to the boards and the carting world. I have a question about my batts.... I've found that they need to be filled fairly often, like once a week only a few cells on each battery? They're 2016 US batts, 4 12v's, 48v in a daily driver. Are they at the end of their lifespan?

Thanks in advance!

JohnnieB 06-04-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3mav (Post 1726289)
Please let me know if I'm in the right place, new to the boards and the carting world. I have a question about my batts.... I've found that they need to be filled fairly often, like once a week only a few cells on each battery? They're 2016 US batts, 4 12v's, 48v in a daily driver. Are they at the end of their lifespan?

Thanks in advance!

Using more water is a sign of aging and 4 years is a fairly typical lifespan for cart batteries. Possibly better than average for 12V batteries in your climate.

Captain Claptrap 07-26-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnieB (Post 1725574)
Yes, but the distance you can travel on a single charge is only about half as far and you will use up more than twice the percentage of storage capacity to travel a given distance, so the 12V battery's cradle to grave lifespan will be less than half of a 6V battery's lifespan.

If you only use the cart to dive a 1/4 to the mailbox and back each day, a 3x12V pack might be marginally acceptable, but if you use the cart for much more than that us a 6x6V pack.

What if you did 2 banks of 3 12's so essentially you have them in parallel. Would that make it a wash and restore the trip capacity of the original 6 in series? Any drawbacks to such a config?