Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   92 CC DS gas, convert to lithium electric rebuild thread (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=147103)

BBBHC 10-18-2018 09:46 AM

92 CC DS gas, convert to lithium electric rebuild thread

3 Attachment(s)
I enjoy seeing others build threads, so I decided to start my own. As some of you know, I have already started this build a couple months ago, so it will take a little bit before I get this thread to current status of the build.

I decided to do a hunting buggy. The family of a buddy of mine owns a campground, so I asked if they had any golf cars that were "put out to pasture". They had 3. An 80's Hyundai, with a cracked frame. An 81' CC DS, was in rough shape! And this 92' CC DS gas. The engine was toast, they didn't feel like dealing with it, so I got it for free. My friend was apparently over excited and loaded it into his Ranger, and drove it to my house. The Ranger was definitely struggling!

Attachment 176839

Attachment 176840

Attachment 176841

NoleFan4Ever 10-18-2018 09:51 AM

Re: 92 CC DS gas, convert to lithium electric rebuild thread

I like your 2nd and 3rd choice pics as a project, but trust me friend, give up on the 1st one, its a waste of money.... :help:

All jokes aside (except the FoMoCo one :roll:), it is going to be great when done. :thumbup:

BBBHC 10-18-2018 12:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 176845

Attachment 176846

Attachment 176847

Attachment 176848

The pictures do not do justice to the amount of grease, oil, dirt and whatever the heck else was caked all over everything!

I thought I hated stickers before this. Now I refer to it as the devil's candy, along with chewing gum! Why do people feel the need to put stickers all over everything!?!?!?

A little bit of fiber glass damage.

Mooncarter 10-18-2018 12:43 PM

BBBHC good luck with the project! What are you going to use for a rear?

Don't throw those parts away! They are getting hard to find and some people would love to have them.

Fairtax4me 10-18-2018 01:06 PM

I’m gonna have to keep an eye on this. Been considering doing the same thing. I have a 91 that the trans is pretty much shot in, looks like the rear axle is the same as electric axles but haven’t pulled it apart yet to really see. If it is I’ve got full harness and electronics from a 98 I scrapped two years ago, would be a neat project for this winter. The only expensive part would be batteries.

BBBHC 10-18-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooncarter (Post 1551289)
BBBHC good luck with the project! What are you going to use for a rear?

Don't throw those parts away! They are getting hard to find and some people would love to have them.

Thanks Mooncarter!
I ended up getting a new rear end from Davidhttp://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/ . It was out of a 2013 or 14' CC P electric, not sure which now, he had 5 of them at the time. Perfect swap.

The parts I don't end up using are going back to my buddy, certainly won't be wasted!

BBBHC 10-18-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairtax4me (Post 1551299)
I’m gonna have to keep an eye on this. Been considering doing the same thing. I have a 91 that the trans is pretty much shot in, looks like the rear axle is the same as electric axles but haven’t pulled it apart yet to really see. If it is I’ve got full harness and electronics from a 98 I scrapped two years ago, would be a neat project for this winter. The only expensive part would be batteries.

I can not speak to 91'. However, for the 92, I am told it is a Kawasaki drive unit, the motor will bolt right up to it. However, the gearing is not right for the application. It was somewhere close to 6.25:1. The normal gearing for electric CC's is somewhere close to 12.25:1.

I would imagine the 91' would be the same scenario, but do not know for sure.

BBBHC 10-18-2018 03:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 176857

Attachment 176858

Attachment 176859

Attachment 176860

Disassembly begins! Once I removed enough of the 1/4" plus of caked on whatever the heck, I was able to remove all the components. Pretty sure no one did any kind cleaning to this thing for at least 5 years!

That insulation/isolation they put between the engine cradle and the engine, holds a lot of really disgusting liquid!

BBBHC 10-18-2018 07:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After lots of Goo-Gone, razors, Scrubs in a bucket hand cleaner towels, Simple Green and power washing.

Attachment 176866

Attachment 176867

Attachment 176868

Attachment 176869

Fairtax4me 10-18-2018 08:53 PM

Frame looks way better after all that work! You could use an acid wash on it and get the rest of the oxidation off of there and really brighten it up.
Quote:

gearing is not right for the application. It was somewhere close to 6.25:1. The normal gearing for electric CC's is somewhere close to 12.25:1.
Thanks, I had wondered if that was different. I’ll have to check that. I do have a spare axle from another cart but it needs bearings. It would be a speed demon for sure! That’s not exactly the direction I would need to go with it though. With the hills here we need the torque.

BBBHC 10-19-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairtax4me (Post 1551415)
Frame looks way better after all that work! You could use an acid wash on it and get the rest of the oxidation off of there and really brighten it up.

Thanks! If this wasn't going to be used for hunting, I'd do that. Maybe that will be a future build...

BBBHC 10-19-2018 08:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Once cleaning up and removing the front body panel, discovered two things. The front body panel is plastic, not fiber glass like the rear body panel. I believe this is not stock, from the information I have come across? Also, apparently a tree or something quite robust made an impact to this cart. Which would certainly explain the potentially not stock front body panel.

Attachment 176889

So at this point I inspected the rest of the frame and found a number of minor welds in the front that were cracked. Luckily my lady friend works in the fabricating business. So we were lucky enough for one of her coworkers to repair the bent frame and re-weld the cracked welds.

Attachment 176890

Of course that is just when parts started to arrive, so it put a hold on the build...

NCPW 10-19-2018 08:52 AM

I hope your "lady friend" doesn't read this and hear you refer to her as your "lady friend" for your sake. :lhmo:

BBBHC 10-19-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCPW (Post 1551536)
I hope your "lady friend" doesn't read this and hear you refer to her as your "lady friend" for your sake. :lhmo:

UH OH! She does read this.... :lhmo:

Actually, it is meant to be respectful. Grown men should not have girl friends, and she is not just another girl. She is truly a Lady.

ThreeCW 10-19-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBHC (Post 1551557)
Actually, it is meant to be respectful. Grown men should not have girl friends, and she is not just another girl. She is truly a Lady.

Great to hear that your lady friend is involved in your cart build! Looking forward to following your build. :thumbup:

BBBHC 10-19-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeCW (Post 1551559)
Great to hear that your lady friend is involved in your cart build! Looking forward to following your build. :thumbup:

We're enjoying the project!

BBBHC 10-19-2018 12:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So with the frame gone for a while, took the opportunity to prep the body panels for "paint".

Got one of those 3M fiber glass repair kits to fix the damage on the rear body. Here was the first application of "filling the hole". I forgot to take more pictures of the additional applications.

Attachment 176905

For the holes that were left around the rear wheel wells, from the stock "fender flares", I used Permatex plastic welder. In my opinion, way easier to work with than fiber glass. Once the fiber glass was repaired, I sanded it all down, and used filler for all the indentations and scratches, and did a finish sanding.

Attachment 176906

Since I wanted to make this cart be as black as possible, I went ahead and spray painted the edges and interior black. I did use adhesion promoter.

Attachment 176907
Attachment 176908

NoleFan4Ever 10-19-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBHC (Post 1551557)
UH OH! She does read this.... :lhmo:

Good save!! :thumbup:

BBBHC 10-20-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever (Post 1551637)

Ha ha! :mrgreen: I thought so!

BBBHC 10-21-2018 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the frame back with the welds and bend repaired. I want this thing to be as discreet as possible, so decided to paint the frame black as well as the body.

Attachment 177007

Attachment 177008

NoleFan4Ever 10-21-2018 09:47 AM

I guess it would be safe to say if you are in the BGW Gift Exchange, Busch Light would be perfect.... :lol::thumbup:

PS- Looking stealth....

BBBHC 10-21-2018 10:37 AM

Yes Nole, that would be true...

For about $17, you get a great dust pan (better than any store bought purpose made dust pan), Masking for paint, grease, oil, etc... Aluminum that you could melt down and make other things with (people do it, I have not). Oh and you get 30 cans of 12 oz. of liquid bread too.

Not a bad deal if you ask me!

Fairtax4me 10-21-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever (Post 1551637)

:lhmo: my thoughts exactly!!! :mrgreen:

BBBHC 10-22-2018 12:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More parts started coming in. The battery was a relief. The seller boxed it up with 1/4" plywood and Styrofoam and plenty of screws. No damage what so ever!

Attachment 177086

The lift kit was a complete and total debacle! Nothing was damaged, but it was missing the appropriate shock mount brackets. The kit was supposed to come with 2 different kinds of brackets, so that regardless what style shocks the cart has, it will work. I dare you to guess how many phone calls, emails and shipments it took to finally get the correct brackets...both correct brackets. The site sponsor was ridiculously ignorant to the product and even worse in their customer service. The manufacturer was not any better, they should know their product. I sent pictures of the wrong parts, they should have known the correct parts to send. I don't know what the rules are about a negative review of site sponsors. I will not mention their name here. (For future reference, the lift kit was the only product I purchased from the company. I will give positive reviews to those that are deserving in the future.) The picture below does not include the two brackets that originally came in the kit.

Attachment 177087

Well the parts I got from Revolution Golf Cars (site sponsor) arrived. The damage was only the box and not their fault. The box was well packed. Pretty sure UPS might have lost this out the back of their truck...at least once. Didn't take individual pictures of the parts. I got the Alltrax 48500, 400 amp solenoid, Admiral A4 high torque motor, complete wiring harness, FnR switch, rear axle and a few other small items. David is excellent with listening to your needs and putting together a package to fit the needs. Definitely recommend going to him for any of your needs!

Attachment 177088

Attachment 177089

Then the wheels and tires. They came in and 1 was noticeably bigger than the other three. I double checked, they were all the same manufactured size. The one was just over pressurized. After some correspondence back and forth with ecartparts.com (site sponsor) they ended up sending me an additional wheel and tire. They let me keep the other! Which I will use as a spare, for the inevitable flat in the future. I definitely recommend e cart parts for anything you need. Great customer service!

Attachment 177090

NoleFan4Ever 10-22-2018 03:09 PM

Spriddle and The New Guy handle the sponsorships. You may want to PM both of them and let them know so they are aware.....

ThreeCW 10-22-2018 03:27 PM

What are the specs on your Leaf battery pack and where did you get them from?

BBBHC 10-23-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeCW (Post 1552565)
What are the specs on your Leaf battery pack and where did you get them from?

As far as the specs on my battery pack: It's a 58V 128ah pack. That being said, that would be in brand new status. I have not done testing on the pack to see what degradation has occurred in these batteries. So I really do not have confirmation of what my pack really is...

It was sold to me as being 120ah and 58v. These came out of a 2014 Nissan Leaf with, I believe if memory serves me right, 28,000 miles.

Not sure if you are looking for specs on my pack, or just specs on what these packs are capable of. Been a while since I did my research, so I've forgotten a lot of the specifics. I do not remember the watts, max amp output, etc. I'll have to refresh my memory to get hat information to you. Some of the other guys on here have posted some of this information on other threads.

I bought the pack on ebay from a guy with the handle azlithium. He has done many of these packs of differing sizes and had mostly, if not all positive feedback ratings. I think DaveTM also got his pack from him.

BBBHC 10-23-2018 09:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Now for paint. I decided to use bed liner since I will be using this in the woods.

I went with Raptor liner. To me it seemed the best choice when considering durability, cost, ease of application and so on. It is made more for the DIYer which makes it nice for saving coin! You can spray it or brush/roll it.

They claim the following features and benefits:
Easy to use
Provides UV protection
Waterproof
Protects against rust, corrosion, salt, damp and extreme temperatures
Abrasion and stain resistant
Dries rapidly, is flexible and helps deaden sound and vibrations
Excellent adhesion

I decided to spray it. Almost all of the bed liner "paint jobs" I have seen where they rolled it, you can see the roller marks. The kit I bought came with an appropriate spray gun for bed liner "paints". You do need an air compressor, with appropriate volume. Good ventilation and a respirator are must haves. This stuff does have VOCs until it is fully cured.

I got the black 4 bottle kit with the spray gun on Amazon. Each bottle is 1 liter. They also make tintable bed liner you can match to your paint. There are different size packages you can get. It's a two part system, you simply poor the hardener to a lip in the bottle of the paint, shake and then screw the bottle onto the gun.

I actually ended up using a paint brush on the inside of the body, because I was an idiot and didn't have the gun set right. It only took one bottle to paint the interior of both body panels. I'm actually glad I did screw up with the gun for doing the interior of the body panels. It would have taken more than one bottle to get good coverage if I had sprayed the interior and I am not concerned with the "finish" on the interior.

It took the other three bottles to get good coverage on the exterior of the body. I had done a lot of research before doing this. There are ways to get different textures, but I couldn't get a "finer" texture even with playing with the pressure, gun setting and distance. It ended up being a bit heavier of a texture than I had planned on, but I think it looks good.

From the research I did, adhesion promoter is a must for plastic and/or fiberglass. I used some stuff I got at the local auto parts store.

Attachment 177127

Attachment 177128

Attachment 177129

Now it's starting to look like something!

Attachment 177130

ag4ever 10-23-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBHC (Post 1552724)
Been a while since I did my research, so I've forgotten a lot of the specifics. I do not remember the watts, max amp output, etc.

A single Leaf module is rated at 240 amps sustained and 540 amps for short periods.

Since you are running a double module pack, you should be safe for 500 amps +/- sustained and 1,000 amps +/- intermittent.

I doubt you would ever see any currents anywhere near those levels.

ag4ever 10-23-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBHC (Post 1552756)
Provides UV protection

With a hunting cart, be careful with any paints that have UV protectant or even worse UV brighteners.

They can make a "black" item look like a glowing blue blob to deer and other wildlife.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub..._printer.shtml

There are many sources of info for this, this was just one I found quickly.

I have a gun sling made from black paracord that looks white when viewed with night vision equipment. You would be shocked at how much stuff starts to glow when you put on a NVG setup. Makes you think twice about what you should wear.

NCPW 10-23-2018 11:01 AM

Very interesting AG. I didn't know deer did not have UV filters in their eyes. Here I am worried about scent. Now I wanna go home and put a black light on all my camo. :lhmo:

BBBHC 10-24-2018 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ag4ever (Post 1552777)
With a hunting cart, be careful with any paints that have UV protectant or even worse UV brighteners.

They can make a "black" item look like a glowing blue blob to deer and other wildlife.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub..._printer.shtml

There are many sources of info for this, this was just one I found quickly.

I have a gun sling made from black paracord that looks white when viewed with night vision equipment. You would be shocked at how much stuff starts to glow when you put on a NVG setup. Makes you think twice about what you should wear.

Interesting. I have been aware of the fact deer can see UV. Which is the only reason I spend money on specialized detergent to wash my gear. The fact that most all cleaners today have bleaching agents and optical brighteners, not to mention perfumes, begs the question. Do "cleaners" actually clean?

I had not thought about if the Raptor liner would be an issue with this. I'll have to take a look at this!

ag4ever 10-24-2018 08:19 AM

I take no responsibility for anybody replacing all of their hunting gear.

On a side note, I have harvested just as many deer wearing "non-camo" clothes as I have wearing camo. I think most camo sold is to make the hunter feel good about their sport, and not really to help them in the sport.

I do wash all my hunting gear in the special "hunting" detergent, be it camo or not camo.

That being said, my cart is navy blue, and blue is the worst color for blending into the environment. Nothing is really naturally blue (excepts a few flowers and the sky) and deer can see blue really well. Even with this handicap, the deer don't seem to be really bothered by my blue golf cart and will allow me to get really close before they run.

Deer are more affected by odd movements than seeing an odd object.

NCPW 10-24-2018 10:27 AM

I agree on the camo part. I have been known to wear jeans and a camo hoodie while hunting. I figured hunters haven't always worn camo when hunting and it never hurt them.

The grandfather of a close friend on mine long ago used to go hunting in blue jeans or Dickies khakis and a button down work shirt. He hunted from the ground at the base of a tree because and didn't own a tree stand. Needless to say, he shot a deer every year that I knew him.

EDIT: Sorry to get your thread off track BBBHC.

NoleFan4Ever 10-24-2018 10:31 AM

I hunt in jeans, shorts, pants, etc. Most of our clubs are all Still hunting so we have blinds, tree and box stands that are all draped and covered. You just have to be quiet, neutral smelling, and an accurate scope for 100-150 yards and you are in like Flynn.... (I have heavy insulated Camo for hunting out west)

ThreeCW 10-24-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBHC (Post 1552724)
As far as the specs on my battery pack: It's a 58V 128ah pack. That being said, that would be in brand new status.

Thanks for the pack info ... that should give you plenty of capacity for your cart.

Great rebuild write up so far ... looking good :thumbup:

BBBHC 10-25-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ag4ever (Post 1552972)
I take no responsibility for anybody replacing all of their hunting gear.

Ha ha! :lhmo:

BBBHC 10-25-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCPW (Post 1553003)
Sorry to get your thread off track BBBHC.

No harm, no foul NCPW! We can learn about more than just golf cars on this forum. :thumbup:

BBBHC 10-25-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeCW (Post 1553143)
Thanks for the pack info ... that should give you plenty of capacity for your cart.

Great rebuild write up so far ... looking good :thumbup:

Thanks ThreeCW! I Hope folks are enjoying, and hopefully getting some good information.

I hope everyone feels free to ask questions, as well as give advice and ideas!

BBBHC 10-25-2018 10:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Moving to the battery, motor, controller, solenoid and wiring.

I decided for my setup, that keeping all 14 battery modules together was going to be best. Due to the fact that the pack will fit between the frame rails, I can have the pack sit a little lower, for better center of gravity. . This being originally a gas cart, the frame rails are a little wider apart than in an originally electric cart. I do not know the measurement between the frame rails of an electric cart. I just wanted to make a point of that for anyone considering such a build. I ordered a sheet of hdpe plastic sheet, that I will use to protect the battery pack from foreign objects. I used 5/16" allthread, 1/8" x 1.5" angle aluminum and the plastic sheet to create a cage to mount the battery pack in the cart.

Attachment 177193
Attachment 177194

I installed the motor, Admiral A4 14hp torque motor.
I mocked up the battery pack, controller, solenoid and wiring harness. (The wiring harness is an IQ setup, which I will use the diagram from a 2003 club car. This setup was put together with David from site sponsor; revolutiongolfcars.com.)

Attachment 177195

Attachment 177196
Attachment 177197