Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Stuck brake drum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=27331)

bookum1@yahoo.com 12-23-2009 11:08 PM

Stuck brake drum

I have a really stuck brake drum and it won't budge. The passenger side pulled right off, but the driver side will not come off. Spins freely but won't come off. any help... please!

Radicalgolfcarts 12-23-2009 11:10 PM

Re: Stuck brake drum

Get the hammer out!! Start tapping it while spinning it...... it will come off eventually!!

bookum1@yahoo.com 12-23-2009 11:20 PM

tried that.... put the wheel back on and beat the hell out of the back of the wheel and nothing.

Radicalgolfcarts 12-23-2009 11:22 PM

I had the same thing happen to me the other day on a bev unit!! I ended up breaking the drum to get it off! I hope that you don't have to do the same thing, sometimes those things can be a bear!

mikesmotortoys 12-24-2009 12:00 AM

Have you loosened up the brake cable adjustment? Your drum could be worn and the shoes are inside the "groove" worn in it. I'd be cautious with the hammers until you try this first...

Radicalgolfcarts 12-24-2009 12:01 AM

Mike, I did that!

bookum1@yahoo.com 12-24-2009 12:17 AM

drum rotates freely. no pressure on the line

Flintrock 12-24-2009 01:03 AM

My Yamaha has a "star" adjuster that allows you to manuaaly back it off, but don't know about your EZ Go.......

Longie 12-24-2009 06:40 AM

I finally got my stuck drum to let loose. Last winter, and recently, I had been using alot of cursing, a wheel puller, PB Blaster, along with heat – no go – it wouldn’t budge.

I’m not sure if it was this board or another message board, but somewhere I read that a scientific test was conducted between PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, some other penetrating oil, and a 50-50 mixture of ATF automatic transmission fluid and acetone. In the test, the 50-50 homemade mixture performed twice as good as the commercial brands.

Anyway, I soaked it every day for about a week with the ATF/acetone mix, and it finally loosened up. It still took some coaxing with the wheel puller and some tapping with a hammer and chisel, but it’s now off.

COURTESYCART 12-24-2009 09:50 AM

I have been known to take a torch to the hub of the drum to get it off. I recently did that to a 95 txt. I am gonna say it has never been removed.

Good luck. they do take some time and beating to get them off sometimes.