Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   03 DS won't charge (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=47283)

mike14_07 04-22-2011 08:03 AM

03 DS won't charge

Here at work we have a 03 ds that will not charge, put some distilled water in it and checked all the cables, all good, the batteries got ran down super low, their a 42.9-43.0 volts. any infowould be appreciated.

Cart_man 04-22-2011 10:30 AM

Re: 03 DS won't charge

The charger won't charge them if they're too low. You need a 12v charger and do two batteries at a time. Link them positive to negitive and then jump across the two with the charging leads. I had the exact same problem. Once they get enough juice the carts charger will be able to take over.

A charger at 10 amps is preferable.

OLD MEC 04-22-2011 10:32 AM

Normally if you have less than 35-38 volts the charger wont turn on, so if pack is at posted amount thats not your problem? I would test the inline 3/8 fuse located behind the charger receptical, normally in a yellow inline holder. If fuse is good then do following to test OBC ( On Board Computer ) which controls charger functions. Install a bypass wire from receptical fuse holder to pack ground. If charger turns on this is your problem, and if not go to the STICKIES under "Complete Manual For Power Drive Charger" to diagnose charger problems.

mike14_07 04-22-2011 12:43 PM

did all of that, put the primary coil black wire on the circuit breaker it charges, tested the relay shows good?

OLD MEC 04-22-2011 02:06 PM

Sorry? Are you saying that when you remove the "output wire" on AC circuit breaker ( meaning that the breaker is working on front of charger ) directly to the input wire on transformer input coil it charges? By doing this you have eliminated the relay and control wiring to relay, is this correct?

mike14_07 04-22-2011 02:35 PM

yes sir

OLD MEC 04-22-2011 03:00 PM

If you have done the OBC bypass test and relay inside charger DOES NOT CLOSE, AND as you say relay tested good it must be in wiring? I would do charger "DC cable" tests as shown in manual to confrim connections from OBC through charger receptical on cart to charger blue lead to relay control circuit. Then confirm connection of "RED" leads from relay to heat sink and back to relay. My own charger had several badly corroded contacts that kept giving me problems until I removed and cleaned all connections.

mike14_07 04-22-2011 03:10 PM

ok its like it has a low battery but has 51 volts, battery light keeps coming on, going off, etc... the cart runs for a bit and then it will just creep, but still has good volatge. what tell if the battery is low, the obc?

OLD MEC 04-22-2011 03:45 PM

At 51 volts your pack should be fully charged ( 50.96 ) so there must be a bad cell or cells some where in pack. Have you tested each battery voltage as each should be 8.49 volts fully charged, then if all shows fully charged do hydrometer test on each cell for low reading ( full charged 1.277 ), then if all else fails do load test on battery pack. Sounds like you only have surface charge? By the way how much distilled water did you add? as cells may be toasted by being dry?

GLEEMO 04-23-2011 09:21 AM

Bump