Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   voltage reducer V/S 2nd Battery (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=56920)

thefuzz 11-15-2011 02:50 AM

voltage reducer V/S 2nd Battery

Ok I'v ben reading several posts where guys have put a seperate 12 volt battery in there cart just to run the lights,radio,exctra [versess] installing a Voltage Reducer to run them. Is there a advantage to one v/s the other ??
what is the pros an cons of the too?? I'm fixing to put headlights ,turnsignals an such on my cart so I'm trying to get the idea of one v/s the other,

Stevegrmich 11-15-2011 06:46 AM

Re: voltage reducer V/S 2nd Battery

. . . only disadvantage is another battery to maintain . . . personally, I am installing a reducer to handle accessories . . .

caokgafamily 11-15-2011 07:29 AM

I have a reducer on my Club Car, It runs a pretty good sound system and my lights. I haven't notced it lowering my run time, it's nice to have just one charger.
Steve

simple man 11-15-2011 08:46 AM

A 12V battery is just that! 12.6V. Most voltage converters output 13.8V. That is a big difference to headlamps! You also don't have to worry about where to put another battery and charging it! I'd recommend a voltage converter over an accessory battery any day of the week! A good one costs the same as a good battery and will output 20-25 amps.:thumbup:

thefuzz 11-15-2011 03:03 PM

on the converter side :: the posts I'v read it seems you need to get a converter that you can turn on & off so it doesn't draw power when the cart isn't on ?

SaltLifeCC 11-15-2011 03:20 PM

I doubt you'll get a response that will 100% sell you on one vs. the other. I decided against a converter and went with the extra battery. My main reason - I wouldn't install a converter unless I wired in a switch to turn it off and I don't trust my kids, who ride the cart, to remember to turn it off. Also, though a converter draws off your battery pack more evenly than using a single battery, it still draws off the pack. So whatever juice you use is less juice to get you up and down the road/path. For me, the only pro to a converter is that when it's time to charge, you plug one thing in. However, I find that I don't need to charge my spare battery near as often as I charge the cart. And I made sure the battery is plenty accessible so it's easy to charge. I just attached my battery tender cables to the battery. The cable has a plug in the middle of it, so it can stay attached all of the time and when I want to charge the battery, it's just a plug and go just like the cart. When I take the cart off somewhere, I have a charger that'll do the job a bit faster that I take with me.

Stevegrmich 11-15-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC (Post 648514)
I doubt you'll get a response that will 100% sell you on one vs. the other. I decided against a converter and went with the extra battery. My main reason - I wouldn't install a converter unless I wired in a switch to turn it off and I don't trust my kids, who ride the cart, to remember to turn it off. Also, though a converter draws off your battery pack more evenly than using a single battery, it still draws off the pack. So whatever juice you use is less juice to get you up and down the road/path. For me, the only pro to a converter is that when it's time to charge, you plug one thing in. However, I find that I don't need to charge my spare battery near as often as I charge the cart. And I made sure the battery is plenty accessible so it's easy to charge. I just attached my battery tender cables to the battery. The cable has a plug in the middle of it, so it can stay attached all of the time and when I want to charge the battery, it's just a plug and go just like the cart. When I take the cart off somewhere, I have a charger that'll do the job a bit faster that I take with me.

Or get a reducer similar to this one that has a "trigger" wire that you connect to your key switch that turns it on when you turn your key to "on" position . . . (this is the one I bought, but have not installed yet) . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190530622956...84.m1497.l2649

bokeasmowl 11-15-2011 05:03 PM

Linky no worky

SaltLifeCC 11-15-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevegrmich (Post 648528)
Or get a reducer similar to this one that has a "trigger" wire that you connect to your key switch that turns it on when you turn your key to "on" position . . . (this is the one I bought, but have not installed yet) . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190530622956...84.m1497.l2649

There's always a way. For me, it was too easy to just add a battery and wire it straight to the battery bay where my 12v source was already coming from. And, it's no big deal to me to have to charge a separate battery. I have my charger right beside my cart charger and it takes a few seconds more to plug it in when it needs plugging in.

It's a choice and there is no right or wrong answer. Just depends on which option fits you the best.

thefuzz 11-15-2011 05:50 PM

stevegrmich I'v looked at that one BUT if you red there WIREING they state the YELLOW wire is the trigger wire to go to the KEY or SWICH 48 VOLTS I'm sure my small cheepo key doesn't have 48V at it UNLESS it is at a relay SOMEWHERE ????