Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Design Center (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   where to mount controller? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=3500)

scottyb 02-14-2008 12:49 PM

where to mount controller?

guys, I am converting an 89CC to controller. Per Nates suggestion I am going to mount the PB-6 as high up in the battery compartment as possible. This is for H2O protection. Which means it will end up right under the drivers side of the seat. Can I put a splash shield under it or is heat a consideration? Where will I find a 90* linkage body to do this?
And 2nd - where would you suggest I mount the controller? It looks to be about 6 x 8 inches? Thanks for any and all input? :thumbup:

killsumptin 02-19-2008 10:03 PM

Re: where to mount controller?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 52557)
guys, I am converting an 89CC to controller. Per Nates suggestion I am going to mount the PB-6 as high up in the battery compartment as possible. This is for H2O protection. Which means it will end up right under the drivers side of the seat. Can I put a splash shield under it or is heat a consideration? Where will I find a 90* linkage body to do this?
And 2nd - where would you suggest I mount the controller? It looks to be about 6 x 8 inches? Thanks for any and all input? :thumbup:

Scotty: I had an idea about how to make the pb 6 water resistant. I think the unit could be mounted inside of a water tight container like a ammo box or similar box, and actuated with a cable off of a bicycle hand brake.

Of course the holes where the cable enters the box and where the wires exit the box would have to be sealed with RTV.

If you were really compulsive obsessive. you could add a shrader valve and a small 12v compressor and make the box positive pressure so no moisture could travel up inside the cable housing.

You may even be able to use the bike's brake lever to interface with the accelerator pedal rod.

If you wanted to go heavy duty, you could use motorcycle cables instaed of bicycle cables.

Of course you would need some springs attached to the pb 6 unit to make sure that the actuator returned to the off position when you took your foot off of the pedal.

With the cable, you could mount the pb 6 anywhere that your cable would reach, and only be limited by the length of the cable.

I'm also going to use the pb 6 and was concerned with getting it wet since my buggy is defenitely going to see some mud and water.

scottyb 02-19-2008 10:12 PM

Yes, so my Q with this was "is the PB-6 heat sensitive?" Because there is not going to much air circulating in a box.:?

killsumptin 02-19-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 53297)
Yes, so my Q with this was "is the PB-6 heat sensitive?" Because there is not going to much air circulating in a box.:?

I think we are dealing with signal voltage which would probably be millivolts. Check the input voltage or signal voltage specs for tour controller. It's a 0-5k pot right?

5 kohms isn't much resistance and resistance = heat.

killsumptin 02-19-2008 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just did a search for the PB 6 specs. It has 22 awg wire. That wire can't carry much current. here's a pic of a similar application. Now just imagine it inside of a box.

I suppose you could vent the box and force some air inside with a fan, but then moisture could get in also.

killsumptin 02-19-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killsumptin (Post 53312)
I just did a search for the PB 6 specs. It has 22 awg wire. That wire can't carry much current. here's a pic of a similar application. Now just imagine it inside of a box.

I suppose you could vent the box and force some air inside with a fan, but then moisture could get in also.

Unless you used a snorkle and a bilge blower from a boat. They are 12v.

buckmanmike 02-21-2008 09:10 PM

I mounted my controller over the passenger wheel well.
I like that idea about using a bike cable on the pb-6. If that would work, I think i would move the potbox to driver side wheel well and then hopefully have room in original location to get another underseat battery installed.
The pb6 has a spring on lever now but not sure if it is strong enough for bike cable to return. If not auto parts dealer sell packets of accell. springs to increase tension.