Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2 stroke ezgo sluggish at starting off (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=177175)

Joeray 06-29-2021 02:06 PM

2 stroke ezgo sluggish at starting off

Have a 1991 ezgo 2 stroke that is real slow to start off when you press the accelerator pedal. Hold it down and eventually it speeds up and starts to move. Once you get it going you can stop and accelerate again and it takes right off. Usually only doe s this when you first start off. Replaced drive clutch and carburetor. Just real slow to get everything moving.

49ford 08-07-2022 07:55 AM

Re: 2 stroke ezgo sluggish at starting off

old post, but did you figure out the problem?

cart around 08-07-2022 08:36 AM

He didn't give a good description of the problem. That's why he never got a reply.

I would suggest describing exactly what your cart is doing with as much detail as possible.

We will then try to help you instead of trying to troubleshoot your cart through his description.

49ford 08-07-2022 10:11 AM

I have an 83 ezgo with the 2pg. I initially changed the drive clutch because it seemed loose and I thought rattled.
Now I've got the engine to run fairly good, not great, it seems like its running governed, but the governer is removed.
The Problem I'm trying to solve is that the engine won't take off for several seconds after you throttle it. I have another 2pg that hits and runs right away so I don't think its normal. In reverse it starts twice as fast.In forward, it takes long enough it makes you wonder if its going to go at all.
Heres what I've done, checked, replaced.

New starter generator. No help, no change, now I have a spare. Though I had to change the old large diameter pulley to the new starter to match the vbelt length.

New ignition module, checked firing with timing light, blue fire at plug. New plug at .028. I have used 4, 5 and 6 heat range plugs gapped to .029, no change
Fuel tank, lines, cleaned. New 128to1 fuel. Fuel pump working, new filters in right direction. Carb cleaned extremely well including center meter. Float set at .200
New air filter, on or off no change.
Compression 110.
I separated the exhaust pipe to relieve pressure, and it wouldn't start any better.

Leon willis 08-07-2022 11:16 AM

That sounds like the jug is worn out

cart around 08-07-2022 12:02 PM

110 compression is good, so NO the jug isn't worn out.

Running better in reverse is a sign of worn crankshaft seals.

I need a better description of what happens when you press the pedal, but before it starts.

Does it spin fast on the starter, or does the starter hesitate and then start turning?

A you tube video would great.

49ford 08-07-2022 12:12 PM

I'll try to do a video.Haven't done one yet. It would be easier to see and hear it. I rechecked the compression, its 120.

49ford 08-07-2022 02:07 PM

Ok, first try at a youtube,

https://youtube.com/shorts/qEppx3xlXW8

CP241 08-07-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cart around (Post 1902815)
110 compression is good, so NO the jug isn't worn out.

:lhmo::lhmo::lhmo:
I wouldn’t expect any less of a response from him

Quote:

Originally Posted by cart around (Post 1902815)

Running better in reverse is a sign of worn crankshaft seals.

:iagree:
If I were a betting man I’d go with crank seals as well. It’s spinning and clearly has compression. Sounds okay once it starts but I’d be replacing crank seals before trying to dive any further into it.

cart around 08-07-2022 03:23 PM

Boy, that is a lot of cranking before getting fuel to fire. I really hate to tell somebody to rip it apart for seals on a guess, but I just don't know where else to go with that.

You already separated the exhaust pipe, but it could be clogged closer to the cylinder.

I also hear some weird clunking or banging that I can't identify.

The only other thing I would do before the crankshaft seals is pull the fuel pump apart and looked for a lower ripped diaphragm. I know that you said it's pumping good, but does it happen to foul out the plug any?