Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Installing HEI Ignition on 3PG Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=57736)

Doc's BoneCracker 01-15-2012 10:54 AM

Re: Installing HEI Ignition on 3PG Carts

Thanks Dave for the lesson I'm New to the cart world but with all the lessons you guys give it helps us new guys figure out things alot fast.

bonduranth 01-15-2012 05:03 PM

Comment on the 2pg / 3pg and a little history. The 2PG was built by Robin. EZ-GO decided that they could do better and designed the 3PG. It had more power and the engine placement was necessary because of the new rear ends that were available. Finally EX-GO gave up on the 2-cycle concept and change to the 4 stroke engine that was compatible with the rear ends they were using. Of note, During this time frame, the rear ends used by Yamaha and EZ-GO were self adjusting. Took Club Car forever to catch on that self adjusting brakes were a good idea. Why they took so long is still a mystery.

hands8087 02-09-2012 05:21 PM

Geat write up and cured my irratic spark like a charm!!!!!

Ron Man 02-10-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hands8087 (Post 686102)
Geat write up and cured my irratic spark like a charm!!!!!

Thank you!! Glad it worked out for you. I think half the improvement is the new connector end on the plug wire. Electrically, it's just a far better solution than the old-school screw post inside the stock coil.

doozerann 03-16-2012 03:32 PM

Ron Man, I just put the HEI on my 87 marathon, runs great Thanks a Bunch!!! Got the coil & ignitor from Auto Zone for $46.00, man i just can't get over it , that son of a gun runs better than it ever has.

Ron Man 03-17-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doozerann (Post 701807)
Ron Man, I just put the HEI on my 87 marathon, runs great Thanks a Bunch!!! Got the coil & ignitor from Auto Zone for $46.00, man i just can't get over it , that son of a gun runs better than it ever has.

Yes siree!!! They sure do run great with HEI!! Glad it worked out for you too!!

panelbeatr 03-24-2012 01:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is another way to install the coil that would survive the rough life my carts enjoy. It is on a 89 3PG Truckster. BTW the black wire on the electrical diagram does go to the ground screw on the ignition module - that is not clearly described previously.

Ron Man 03-25-2012 10:21 AM

Nice!! Not sure my utility body would clear the coil in that location though.

panelbeatr 03-25-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Man (Post 705239)
Nice!! Not sure my utility body would clear the coil in that location though.

i'ts actually below the top of frame rail by 1/4"..... may be tough to service though....

Pilipino EZGO 04-12-2012 11:45 PM

Changed over the igniter as above but getting low to intermittement spark, any non factory ideas for igniter assy to control the spark that i might be able to locate in the provinces of Philippines, ie: mostly salvage parts from toyota cars available.