Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Lights wired to 1 battery? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=135327)

jbsmith05 09-25-2017 07:27 AM

Lights wired to 1 battery?

How big of an issue is it to run lights/turn signals from a 48-12v reducer?

I ask because I was putting some fender flares on this weekend and noticed whoever had the cart before me just slopped in the reducer on top of the wheel-well. So for ease of completing the project, I just pulled out the reducer and wired the lights to one battery.

Now my cart is literally never used at night, so the only lights that are ever on are turn signals and brake lights. Cart is probably used 3-4 days a week for no more than a total of 1 hour per day.

So I was thinking that little use may not cause a huge discrepancy in that one battery to overcome the amount of time/work to correctly mount the reducer.

teecro 09-25-2017 08:17 AM

Re: Lights wired to 1 battery?

In my opinion you pretty much answered your own question... Mine has been this way for over 3 years... If usage is minimal then the effect should be minimal too...

jbsmith05 09-25-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teecro (Post 1435583)
In my opinion you pretty much answered your own question... Mine has been this way for over 3 years... If usage is minimal then the effect should be minimal too...

Well I thought so - but I wanted someone to check my logic/reasoning! :)

crash test dummy 09-25-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbsmith05 (Post 1435564)

So I was thinking that little use may not cause a huge discrepancy in that one battery to overcome the amount of time/work to correctly mount the reducer.

but if you take the time and effort to do the job correctly you will know it will be right and will do no harm to the batteries

Hunter450 09-25-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash test dummy (Post 1435633)
but if you take the time and effort to do the job correctly you will know it will be right and will do no harm to the batteries

:thumbup:

yawood 09-26-2017 08:26 AM

Seeing that you already have the reducer and don't have to buy one you could hook it up instead of just discarding it. Come the day when you (or, more likely, someone else who uses the cart) do use the lights and other 12V accessories, your battery pack will jump to attention and say "Thank you Sir".

teecro 09-26-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash test dummy (Post 1435633)

That right there is the absolute best advise...

I installed an oversized converter with the full intention of wiring my lights into it and in the end all it ever powered was a couple unused USB power outlets. The cart is so rarely used at night and one day I needed the fuse to fix the car until I could get to town (1.5 hour round trip) and over a year later the replacement fuse is still sitting in the ball holder...

crash test dummy 09-26-2017 11:03 AM

well at least you have one ... i used a cigarette pack foil to get home from a jeep romp