Thread: Generator 101
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Generator 101

shadowman/jiminpa, I am having a failure to start problem - a short in the circuit. I can not get power to the generator. Either voltage regulator, solenoid, or engine kill hookup is shorting the circuit. The cart died on the front driveway. It had been working fine. It was stopped in normal fashion and then would no longer fire up. When the pedal is depressed, nothing. Just the clicking of the F/R micro switches, which I have replaced as they are cheap and easy.

Your pdf is worth a thousand words and would have been a good place for me to start. I tried to purchase parts and repair manuals on Friday, but the local shop had none for my year [2002].

I can see from your PDF above that everything is correctly wired in the cart. I mislabeled my photos. I was calling the solenoid a "coil" and I don't know where I came up with that. I also mislabeled A1 and A2. I will correct these and repost the photos in my original post so future readers will not be mislead.

What color labels in my PDFs would be preferred ? It is a dark background, so I used yellow. Looks good on my screen, but if I can't convey the data on yours or everyone else's, then they're meaningless.

I didn't even KNOW I had a voltage regulator. Where is it on the cart? Circuits and power are NOT my friends. Mechanical aptitude I have. Electricity I don't "get".

When the solenoid is activated shouldn't there be a voltage across the main poles of the solenoid or does it all become "common" when it is powered? The battery is registering 12.7 V and the solenoid 0.0 V with the key on and pedal depressed.

I can not see, from the diagram, what the accelerator kill limit switch is connected to (#18 black/white wire to "Engine Kill Hook Up"), but the lack of power in the starter circuit suggests a short somewhere and this may be that somewhere.

Thank you for your help!
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote