View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 is latest edition to the stable

I'd be looking for a new clutch. I'm sure you can rebuild the clutch with all new weights, but it's going to cost you as much as a good used clutch.

The weights and pins wear on these clutches, and when they are really worn out sometimes you have failures. When they wear they no longer fit tightly and pivot properly which can cause the weights to hang up and eventually they will break. Once this happens it's usually beyond repair and it's best to replace it.

With that said, you can use a clutch from any G1, G2, and G9, as long as you are not going to use the factory oil pump. The G1 clutches have a gear on the hub that work with the oil pump. So if you use a G2/G9 clutch it won't have the gear so you'll have to premix the gas/oil. Most people will premix anyway because the oil pump can fail and cause engine damage.

Post an ad in the "Parts" section that you are looking for a good used clutch. I'd look to pay about $75-$100 for a decent used unit and $150 for a clean low hour unit. New ones are $300.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote