View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #30
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me

This thing is killing me....I hate wiring issues. I cannot get spark to save my life. Both the WH and MPT are set up as pre-MCI...MPT was working. Swapped ignitor, ignition switch, and coil from the MPT...still no spark. Swapped out plugs, nothing. It is wired per the wiring diagram, so no inadvertent grounds that I can find. Seems like a ground is keeping the coil from firing, like a kill switch is engaged. Crazy, and can't find the problem. When I put the new ignitor in, and even with the old ignitor, the lights would come on through the switch, I try to start with the pedal, it would turn over, but no spark. Lights wouldn't work anymore. That made me think the switch was bad. I have an old TXT ignition switch, and will take the entire light circuit out and see what I have...maybe the ground is somehow jumping from there.
As I was looking the entire harness over, I found a place in the harness where the wire loom dropped down enough that a turned front tire would impact it, and it was rubbed raw...a few exposed wires. One blue/White wire, one red wire, and one yellow wire. I think they are all lighting...so shouldn't be impacting my starting. I also found that the brake switch light wires were simply cut off and dangling...still hot. This thing is driving me crazy.
Would the shorted light wires possibly kill my ignitor or coil? I have a spark tester hooked up, and verified that it works off another engine...Every once in a while, I will get a very faint light in the bulb on the tester, but not much, and not consistently. What am I missing? Anyone find a crazy grounding location that wasn't obvious that kept a machine from firing? BTW, I know my grounds are good through the frame, and engine...I can get quick full continuity from any part of the frame to the engine or battery.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote