View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
sunking
Gone Wild

Default Re: Converting to Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorry View Post
HA! Thanks for the info. Sorry about hte misnomer, I fully blame it on the iPhone's screen.
No problem, just throwing some fun your way.

On a budget and if you have some fabrication skills go the Calb route. 16 of the CA-100 cells will cost around $2K but there is a catch. You have to also buy buss bars and Balance Boards, a set for each cell. What I have seen DIY EV guys do is use the steel or fiber glass band like the use to secure loads to palets for shipping to band them together tightly then slip them into a sheet metal enclosure. I also seen them use large "C" clamps to squeeze them together in groups of 4 to slide into an enclosure.

For me, I just bought the GBS package, and dropped them right into place, and used corner clips on long threaded bolts to secure it. The GBS batteries have a couple of great features no one else offers.

1. They have an integrated cover. This will prevent any accidental shorting out like being clumsy and dropping a tool on top of the battery. They have enough energy to vaporize a wrench or screw driver and the arc flash and plasma will really mess up you hair and cook skin to a crispy crunch charcoal.

2. They have a 4-point buss bar that uses four screws instead of 1 bolt. Much larger surface contact area and if properly torqued pretty much eliminates loose connections. Being a EE and RC pilot I have an infrared scanner and have never found a loose connection.

As with any Lithium setup there are no wires between batteries. They use buss bars. Only wires used is on the +/- term plates and please use two-hole term plates. If you do that you will never have any issues of loose connections. Not to mention to lead to melt.

Yes it is expensive initially, but less expensive long term because you will not be buying new batteries every 3 or 4 years. Today's LFP batteries have 2000 to 3000 cycles which last about 10 years with proper care.

One note on proper care. You already know not to fully discharge them. But for storing them long term, never store them fully charged up. For storage you want them around 60% SOC. At 100% puts some stress on the batteries. Personally I never charge mine to 100% as 90% is more than good enough and extends the cycle life.

Unlike lead acid batteries must be kept at 100% SOC and recharged after any use to maximize cycle life, don't do that with lithium. Only recharge them when you get close to 80% DOD or nervous. That will greatly increase cycle life as you cycle less often. Lithium does not sulfate like lead acid if less than 100% charged up. Lithium does better if under 100%, just do not go below 20%. You want to leave yourself some breathing room so as not to flirt with fully discharged.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote