View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #25
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: My g1 hunting cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by procomp View Post
Great job. Couple questions, can you modify the frame for the lift with the motor in or is the primary clutch going to be in the way?

Was the jakes lift worth it or would you build your own lift next time?
As far as the frame mod for clutch clearance...you pretty much have to have the motor out to do it the way I did it. I heated up the frame where I wanted the clearance, and I just used MAP gas because its all I had. Got it smoking, then found the biggest sledge hammer I had, stood on top of the frame with the heated area between my feet...and....bang, bang, bang. Literally three bangs and it was dented. I like this method because it keeps the frame intact, as opposed to cutting it and the like. Also, using MAP gas prevented me from heating the metal too much and compromising the structure of the metal.

As for the lift...the Jake's kit is great. As you can see I like to modify things and make them better. The fault in this cart is not the brand of the lift, but the design of the suspension. Since it's a single a arm setup you can only lift it up so far before you get too much of a camber issue. And with softer shocks on there the a arms travel way more than they were designed to and you'll get funky off road handling at speed. It gets a little squirelly. So my next modification will be to graft in an atv dual a arm long travel suspension. But for now it works pretty good, as long as I stay on smooth terrain.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote