View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Here we go again, hahahahahaha

Well, evidently I need to spend a little time with a dictionary, because it would seem that anything I see that appears "slightly tweaked" (in my words) is in fact, totally FUBAR (in the REAL world) ...

Fixed the frame issue at hand (the crash damage above) without a huge hitch, a little heat, some angle iron and a C-clamp resulted in a broken C-clamp (you get what you pay for) so a NEW C-clamp later and some finessing, and all is well with the drivers side damage.

Did some REAL research on the axle (as mentioned above, YES it turned out to be 3/8" off) and a similar "home-fix" involving a tree stump, a pickup and a come-along made things all well with the world and within about 1/16" of perfect - but after the reassembly, things STILL didn't look "right" - turns out the entire rack is tweaked about 5/8" to port, and the culprit is a serious deformation at the frame where the right leaf spring attaches, complete with stress crack (likely somehow directly involved with whatever bent the axle, I would guess). Looks like some quality time with the grinder and welder are in my future ...

(I'd have pics but I ran to grab the camera and a few beers at the house and lo and behold I seem to have forgotten the camera)

SO - now it looks like I'm putting the cowl on hold for ANOTHER day and figuring out the front end once and for all, I personally would probably just run it the way it is but this one's for the missus and various unsavory characters who may grace my doorstep to drive, so safety first ...

OH - one good thing though, while I was over at my buddies having a beer to celebrate and consternate over having to drive all the way into town to replace the broken C-clamp, I happened to get into a conversation with his neighbor and ended up in his storage shed, where I purchased a really, REALLY nice set of weld-style 13" powdercoated golf cart rims, complete with 205/30-13 tires, all mounted up and ready to bolt onto ??? - for a pretty darn good price. Anyone doing a street cart hit me up, I only bought them because he needed the cash so I would be more than willing to pass them on. They're HUGE rims with really REALLY low-profile skins, but I believe they would likely still require a lift of some sort to utilize, I'll get some measurements in the AM as well as pics of the entire debacle, right now I'm going to grab another beer, pour me a "little one", and get to making the Tamales I promised my other half I was gonna make yesterday (if I simmer off the sauce and meat tonight I figure I'm showing ambition AND dedication, so the Masa and assembly, steaming, etc can wait til tomorrow)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote