View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
Ghall
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 ezgo Top & Bottom End Engine Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Wow this thread went all over the place fast, LOL ... I'll try to consolidate, YES you have to pull the fan with the 6 bolts that hold it on (also be sure to save the 3-hole "washers" for reinstallation, they have tabs that need to be flattened to remove the bolts then re-bent on install or the bolts will back out).

A simple steering wheel puller with IIRC a couple of #6 metric shoulder bolts *might* do the trick, but if you have access to a heavy-duty puller FOR gears, flywheels, etc you'll likely save a snapped puller (I went through 2 of the cheapie sterring-wheel types when I had to pull the flywheel on my 8 - also pop the few extra cents for high-grade bolts as well as take the time to soak it all down at the shaft with PB Blaster prior to pulling and You should be OK. Do NOT try to pry anywhere in any way or you WILL damage the engine casing (again, don't ask just TRUST ME on this one, LOL) however it DOES help to get everything under tension and tap lightly around the perimeter of the flywheel towards the shaft (a drift punch comes in handy here to keep from bunging up the casing with a mis-hit) ... A little beer and a little swearing helps too - it's not REQUIRED but anytime I've pulled a flywheel its' inevitable.
Thanks, It is soaking in PB Blaster now,waiting on the puller to get here.
Ghall is offline   Reply With Quote