Thread: Generator 101
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Generator 101

jimimpa, I had that exact instructions for metering the generator (from the other thread on this Forum) I went mining for GEN info too!

ALL of the recommended readings checked out OK. The generator was still on the cart when tested and taken off the cart only after testing was complete.

After removing the generator from the cart, being careful to not loosen any of the studs, I again applied power to the appropriate generator poles. NOTHING. The generator is dead.

At the very end, I even briefly applied power to the wrong generator poles and verified that the battery has plenty of juice in it (shower of sparks). I'll run it through the tests again with it off of the cart.

I took the photos of the brushes but do not see where to look for the "wear line". I see nothing when observing the front, side, and back of the brushes as they are installed in the generator. Taking the old brush out without a new one in hand does not seem to be a recommended option.

The brush connections to the GEN body (pigtail on attached photo) all appear intact.

Assuming the brushes are milled carbon and compressed by the spring against the COMMUTATOR (the striated smaller diameter thingy) at the top end of the ARMATURE shaft, what keeps the striations on the commutator from "eating" chunks out of the brushes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator Construction.jpg (75.0 KB, 55 views)
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote